Archinect
anchor

New role as PA, looking for input

jimminy121212

I'm moving from a long stint in a design position at a large firm to a smaller firm where I'll basically be a PA, not a job I've been prepared for.  In larger places often you do what you do and it's very compartmentalized so you don't get experience doing anything but your thing.  I'm facing a steep learning curve and I want to get up to speed asap.

So one of the things I know I'll be getting into that I haven't before is project scheduling and delivery.  It's mainly high end custom homes $600-900 / sf, and some TI.  This is mainly in or around LA, CA.

I haven't worked on a SFR in over 10 years (and then only as designer), though I've been licensed in CA for about 6.  My projects typically have sophisticated (read A-hole) RE developers dictating schedules and a battery of land use attorneys and construction managers.  Now, I guess all that's my job.

I'm wondering what the process is that people who are really good at this go through if they have to start from scratch as I may have to.  For example, someone comes and says work out the project schedule and staffing for a 12,000 sf, $600/sf house in the Hollywood hills in order to begin to schedule (off the top of my head) concept design to SD, entitlement doc prep, time for planning approval, then moving into staffing and the time required to prepare CD's & bid docs, specs (hopefully they use an outside spec'er), plan check, bidding, and construction time, all the sh*t I'm forgetting, and the fact that I have no idea what the timing is like for getting Planning or B&S approval in LA for an SFR.

I'm sure it's not that complicated and there are a lot of variables, but anyone that's done a few of these can probably give me a pretty good outline to get me started, and that will be very much appreciated.

Jun 6, 15 12:47 pm

That's pretty much how I learned to do it.  One thing that is helpful is to look back on past projects and use the hours to make a more accurate estimate of what it will take.  Granted this means your firm needs to have data on past projects.  

Below is a very rough outline of the milestones that i've used to create a design schedule.  Our fee breakdown is a bit heavy on the SD end due to the use of BIM - your results may vary.  

PD additional fee

• Site review / feasibility study
  • Programming
  • Client meetings – 3-4

SD  25%

• Conceptual layouts
  • Massing
  • Building / zoning code review
  • Presentation drawings / design report
  • Begin city submittal process (going to vary greatly depending on /AHJ)
  • Client meetings 3-4

DD  25%

• Drawings
  • Drawing review
  • building / zoning code review
  • City submittal process
  • Client meetings 2-3
  • Spec outline
  • Cost estimate

CD  50%

• Finalize Drawings
  • Finalize Specs
  • Drawing / spec review
  • Final building / zoning code review
  • Final cost estimate
  • Submit final documents to city (can be moved to CA if GC not yet chosen)
  • consultant meetings - 4-5
  • client meetings 1-2

CA  25%

• Owner / Arch / Contractor meetings (weekly?)
  • Submittal review
  • Questions
  • Changes

Mar 28, 23 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But Chad, what about kitchen cabinets?

Mar 28, 23 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Whoops typo: SD: 20% DD 20% CD 35% CA 25% Sorry about that - had too many other numbers running through my head for a weird project.

Mar 28, 23 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Non - I'm more curious how the OP is dated 7/6/15 but showed up on the front page with no responses. Did a bunch of the OP's posts get deleted?

Mar 28, 23 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can't say, that information is above my pay grade unfortunately.

Mar 28, 23 10:35 am  · 
 · 

It's weird. It's even more weird that the OP had to ask for suppliers of kitchen cabinets if they've been a PM for eight years.

Mar 28, 23 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like more of the OP's posts got deleted. Weather by choice or the B.G.H. is unknown.

Mar 28, 23 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: