Archinect
anchor

Job opportunities for foreign architects in the USA

hello, I am an India based architect  ( B.arch, Mumbai university)  with 4+ years of relevant experience in some good firms in India.

I am, looking forward to shift to the USA soon along with my husband, who would pursue Masters in Science, IT, from Worcester Polytechnic MA.

Actually I am really skeptical, that a Bachelors's degree is of any use to get any architectural job in the USA but, still want to know, are  there  any suitable job opportunities for me and what skills or softwares do I need to learn in order to enable to apply for jobs there, considering the vast difference in the working style of the two countries.

Jun 5, 15 11:09 am
JLC-1

Hi, I'm a foreign architect working in the US for 13 years, only with a BA equivalent (although I did a 6 year undergrad, which is BA+MA in the US) and I don't think the difference is in the working style as much as the building process, I would suggest learning building methods in the US, building types and use of materials, that's the biggest difference; software is very much universal these days, revit, autocad, sketchup, rhino, archicad, etc. most firms are migrating rapidly to revit now. the job market will depend a lot on the place and type of projects, this website is a great source for it.

good luck

Jun 5, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Thank you so much for your valuable comment JLC-1 !!

Jun 6, 15 8:13 am  · 
 · 
alexanderbermudez

Hello Everyone.  I just have got graduated from Uni in Colombia as Architect and I would like to get any vacancie at any company,. I would like to learn a lot , doesn't matter if I will get pay or not

Aug 10, 16 12:39 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Walk into any starchitect office in the US, they will make you work 18 hours a day so you can "learn a lot"

Aug 18, 17 6:05 pm  · 
2  · 
ethankunz

I have a similar question. My wife is a professionally certified architect with a bachelors degree from Honduras--accredited by the central Honduras authority-- and over a year of experience. We soon will be living in the US, and I know she likely will have to pursue more education to hit course requirements for an architect license.

1. How did you, or how do you certify a foreign architect degree in the best way from foreign--->US.

2. What would you recommend to an emigrating person to the US with a bachelors in architecture?

I am an electrical systems engineer, so I could support more education, but I would like to hear from real architects and their experiences in the US.

May 24, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Hi good day , im a Nigerian based architect , with a btech and mtech in architectureand about five years working experience in residential building design ,landscape and interior design , i also have a bit of experience in building construction.

i  used revit ,autocad, sketchup and vray soft wares well.i would love to relocate to the US and work there.i want the exposure and experience different from where im coming from.

i am open to learning and very interested in exploring new option.

how do i get a job, and what conditions do i have to meet to be able to work in the US. I don't mind having to start from the bottom, doesnt matter if i get paid or not i look forward to the experience.

Aug 18, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

To all the posters above, 

In case you have not been watching the news, the USA is under massive demolition and repairs with the current political climate. It may be best to try again in a few years. 

Aug 18, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
sarahzoubi

hello, I am a Jordanian based architect  ( ENAU, Tunisia university)  with 3+ years of relevant experience in some good firms in France, Tunisia and Jordan.

I am, looking forward to shift to the USA soon and i want to know, are  there  any suitable job opportunities for me and what skills or softwares do I need to learn in order to enable to apply for jobs there, considering the vast difference in the working style of the two countries.

Feb 5, 19 5:55 am  · 
 · 
nisthamehra

Hello, 

I am a licensed architect from India. I did my B.Arch from India and Masters degree from Germany. I have experience of working in India, Germany and the USA, although in USA it has been brief. I felt that the kind of role I had was that of a trainee. 

Is it extremely important to get a USA based degree in order to get a better and high paying job at a big company? The education here is expensive and I am not sure if I should spend my savings on the tuition.

I will really appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Sep 14, 20 7:32 pm  · 
1  · 
sherozmuhahamdqulov

I am from Central Asia, that is, Uzbekistan. I have the skills to work in both historical and modern style. I work in AutoCAD 3dMax Photoshop and Lumion. I wouldn’t say no if there was an offer to work in America.

Jan 20, 21 3:38 am  · 
 · 
Pranamita

Hello, Here some Remote Job opportunities for you as foreign architects in the USA. if you are interested then you Apply here.

Best Luck!

Jun 10, 21 3:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: