Archinect
anchor

Supermarket Spectacular

missy

i am a MA student in London, currently in my first year of the programme.

We are doing one project for the whole year and this is to be defined by our own research. i have already selected a site and now I am trying to define the programme/building.

The site is in East London and is a retail park and supermarket. i began my research looking into the car park and supermarket strategies and development. I am now trying to make sense of this research and form some kind of brief.

At first I wanted to redesign the supermarket but this building type is so robust that i think the project would simply become a decorated box/shed. I think nthe key is to rethink the way in which we shop or will shop. For example perhaps i should be designing a drive-in movie theatre and simply a storage unit where you collect your shopping? i am looking for ideas about where people think shopping is going ways to shop!

any thoughts any follow shopper/architect?

Jan 16, 05 1:01 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

you should look at lewis tsurimaki lewis [sp] at www.ltl.net alot of their work deals with these tactical issues...

Jan 16, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
www.ltlwork.net
Jan 16, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
missy

i will thank you. I have just been looking into drive thru supermarkets thou the problem is that all of these solutions eliminate the shopping experience, which lets face it people either love or hate. However it is about interaction.

Jan 16, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White
RFID

: the future of shopping + consumer tracking

Jan 16, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
TED

you might look at this related thread the future of retail architecture

Jan 16, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
missy

scary!

Jan 16, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

also .. very important to the development of compacting the supermarket: the CARTVEYOR or VERMAPORT

Jan 16, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
missy

MASON, ahh this hasn't quite got to little old england but i love these!

Jan 16, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
link
Jan 16, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

also useful: ICSC research

Jan 16, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
REDFemme

my thesis was similar in issue. look and read Paco Underhill, Why We Buy, also in the latest "Real Simple" mag/dec/jan issue, there was an interesting article that showed grocery merchandising techniques. I grew up in a supermarket, literally, coming from a family of grociers, and there is such a science to the way we place items on in and around shelves. i think your idea of looking at these tactics and applying them to a mobile unit is VERY interesting and could make for an interesting study. Look at Giant PeaPod Grociers, as a mobile unit..

Jan 17, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
missy

i will take a look thanks RedFemme. I got alot of leads yesterday that gave me a lot to think about. I took a look at the future store website which was fastinating and really helpful. uin particular the RFID technology that they were using. this could potentially completely change the way in which we shop. Although I find it quite scary it could mean that we could possibly eliminate the check out and single entry of the typical supermarket. Supermarkets could become more like market stalls, open plan and more social.

Yesterday I aslo did my first internet shop which was interesting as I found it really difdficult to decide what brand I was selecting without looking at the whole product, packaging etc. I also realised that it completely negated "impluse buys". in a way this was good as I didn't end up buying more than I needed but I also missed walking around the aisles and suddenly remebering something I had to get. However it did mean that i could get up walk around my house and see what I had forgot before I placed my order.

Still I think that internet grocery shopping relies on us knowing our brands from shopping in familiar supermarkets.

Jan 17, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
missy

thanks abracadabra! that link was really useful!

Jan 17, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

We did a supermarket in LA. The most important factors, at least in LA, were #1 CARS and #2 CIRCULATION.

There are a lot of compressed, sectionally interesting supermarkets in LA. It was all about incorporating the car into the design. Damn parking, for anything really, takes soooo much space. If you can make that part interesting, the rest will be easy (-ier).

Zapata + Wood have an interesting one in Miami.

Jan 17, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

check out the Keedoozle and Clarence Saunders for early examples of mechanization.

http://www.pigglywiggly.com/cgi-bin/customize?aboutus.html

Jan 17, 05 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: