Archinect
anchor

from 2-d to 3-d

silverlake

i draw in autocad and then model in form z. i'm always going back and forth to revise construction documents and/ or renderings with a single design change. i'm fast with both (that's why i use them) but the interface can be slow and a pain in the ass. i'm not convinced this is the most efficient way of working. Autocad's modeling capabilities and form z's drafting capabilities blow.

anyone work with a faster way to interface 2d and 3d?

Jan 14, 05 8:50 pm
mauOne™

i work similarly as you, but i use max,

i was a blessing when they put out the design extensioin and the file link manager, in that way all your changes in the original file from autocad (be them 2d or 3d changes) are updated in the MAX, this saves a lot in the going back and forth.

others would booooooo me and say, go BIM

Jan 14, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

booooooooooo. Parametrics is the way

Jan 15, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I am using Acad and Max now, but I prefer Acad to FormZ. I've yet to come across a modeler that is faster than FormZ (Max is mediocre, at best, imo).

Make sure you optimize the acad files befor importing, and only bring in what you need (you don't need hatches or text). This goes for Max, too (it just eats resources up like mad).

Jan 15, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Try Archicad or my favorite, BOA, and the 2-d/3-d question becomes moot. BOA works beautifully and all programs will (and are) resembling how you create 2-d drawings or sheets from a 3-d model.

The days of Autocad are numbered.

Jan 16, 05 5:33 am  · 
 · 
LA-Architekt

long live revit

Jan 17, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

revit is great

Jan 22, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

I like both 3Ds and AutoCAD , now if I can form it in Max I can import it into AutoCAD where the real things happen, but It depend on what it is, what program I chose.
This don't matter if you just desing your stuff and then press a button to by automatic get all frames , ---- I can even do these in Max and _then_ import it into AutoCAD the good old rigid AutoCAD that allow me to work in a way a bit old fasion but the way I work, exact.
Now putting one window in after the other, is a compleat other world. Sure it's architecture but it more focus the account than the fantastic options, when you don't need vorry about drawing out this or that section, when it's there just by a press of a button and is _not_ 20 different beams stringers or hangers but just one material.
Revit is great IntelliCAD is great, aslong as you know what it is and what it can and what it shuld be.

Jan 22, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

mauOne- how do you file link in MAX? i am familiar with the file link manager in VIZ but i don’t see the option in MAX, Thanks

Jan 24, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

REVIT revit revit. no more interfacing for you! just thinking!

there's a 60-day trial of revit that can be downloaded from autodesk--check it out...

Jan 24, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS
Revit Streaming Trial
Jan 24, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Since MAX and AutoCAD and VIZ are owned by Autodesk Inc...the intercompatibility is pretty robust....so going back and forth in any manner that you might choose is pretty easy...

Another point to keep in mind when using AutoCAD and MAX /VIZ in conjunction is file management...3dmodelling 101....keep your polygon count as low as possible and your model as clean as possible...

3DsMAX rocks for Renderings, and the modelling engine is pretty good and robust but not as intuitive as Form-Z. Therefore I use Form-Z for design process models and then use AutoCAD-MAX with Mental Ray or Final Render for presentation quality (photoreal) renderings...

Jan 24, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

does anyone use maya to model? i, ahem, seem to have found a copy lying around, and it seems to have the same interface as viz. i personally used formz then went to viz and max. just wanted to see whether or not it is a worthy app to use, or if i should revert back to max.

Jan 24, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: