Archinect
anchor

Looking for a City that Architects Love to Live and Work in

NMR Architects

If you and your husband are still looking to move, NMR has three offices in family friendly cities (Redding, Chico and Santa Rosa, CA.) If you're interested feel free to check out our website, www.nmrdesign.com/careers to see all of our open positions. 

Apr 6, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting that this thread got bumped when it did. For the record, I'm moving to Seattle next week after accepting a project architect position with a mid-sized firm in town. I ultimately decided that I didn't want to spend the next 30+ years banging my head against the wall in a very conservative region of the country. The cost of living in Seattle was a concern, but in my case, the compensation package was more than enough to offset the higher housing costs.

Apr 6, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Good luck David

Apr 6, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

^ goodluck. Throughout my career here in the U.S. (I worked overseas prior), I have been hired by firms located outside the state that I lived in (from GA, DC to FL). But were now contemplating of moving west. Anyone here have done that?

Apr 14, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

West is a great quality of life, the wheather is great compared to the northeast and people are pretty relaxed I would recommend Denver, Seattle,Portland, and Salt Lake City is even cool and of course California but it is expensive. I grew up in the northeast and went to the west for school and then went back to the northeast and realized I preferred the west more and came back. 

Apr 14, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
baker1

Minneapolis,Denver or Akron would be just fine.

Apr 15, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

-Seattle is not a bad place to be. Check out their unemployment rates right now. Lots of tech companies are moving there. People love just outside the city in the suburbs. They don't have income tax there..... :-)

-Bozeman, MT is a cool spot and seems to be heating up for architects.

-Austin, Texas is inexpensive and a great place for design.

Apr 16, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I am still in constant confusion on how one could buy a decent home in Southern California or even the Bay area on an architect's salary....

Apr 24, 16 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ That's why it's called "la-la land"

Apr 24, 16 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Birmingham, Alabama, is a sleeper that is waking up. A lot of industry moving there. Affordable, plus you can drive to Tuscaloosa on Saturday and watch the Crimson Tide destroy everybody in football.

Apr 24, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

I’m reviving this old thread because it’s quite relevant to my situation. Wife and I are both in the industry, we have one kid, and are looking for a better quality of life. Lived in DC for over a decade, and spent last three years in Miami. We’re looking for a city that is outdoorsy, good design/ development/ green scene, affordable (better than DC and MIA at least), family oriented but fun for adults too, and in a warmer/neutral climate drivable to North FL to visit fam. 

Atlanta is not appealing and too sprawly. Any insight on NOLA or Greenville SC? Any other recommendations?

Thx

Mar 31, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

NOLA is tough to break into for newcomers unless you have a lot of money and have connections in the local community. Cost of living can be high too.

Mar 31, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Look at the old pictures of Katrina. Does NOLA look like where you'd really feel comfortable for the long term? Also, the political corruption and general establishment insularity can really get to you after a while. Lived there for seven years, a piece of me will always be there, but I wouldn't go back on a dare.

Apr 1, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
file

While I've not lived in Greenville, I've done a number of projects there over the years. It's a small(ish) southern town and all that that implies (meaning, it's not going to be as cosmopolitan or open-minded as Atlanta, nor will you find the same breadth of shopping or entertainment.) But, the people are generally friendly, there are some decent design firms there, the economy is growing and I think you would find the cost of living quite attractive.

You might enjoy this link: https://www.cntraveler.com/bra...

Apr 1, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Thank you! I hadn’t come across this specific article, but have seen many like it. I’ll be visiting Greenville in a few weeks. I’ve only lived in DC or Miami (suburb), and only know the large metro-ar a experience. Frankly, I’m getting tired of the expenses and traffic, and overall grind. I’m applying to grad schools for a master in real estate development, and Clemson’s program looks great, and is in downtown Greenville, also considering Tulane and UMiami. There is something appealing to moving and testing out a new city while in school to see if there is a long term possibility to stay. I’ve obly heard great things about Greenville, besides the obvious “it’s not a large metropolitan city” comparison, but I think that’s what my wife and I are looking for these days.

Apr 3, 18 9:03 am  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Thank you! I hadn’t come across this specific article, but have seen many like it. I’ll be visiting Greenville in a few weeks. I’ve only lived in DC or Miami (suburb), and only know the large metro-ar a experience. Frankly, I’m getting tired of the expenses and traffic, and overall grind. I’m applying to grad schools for a master in real estate development, and Clemson’s program looks great, and is in downtown Greenville, also considering Tulane and UMiami. There is something appealing to moving and testing out a new city while in school to see if there is a long term possibility to stay. I’ve obly heard great things about Greenville, besides the obvious “it’s not a large metropolitan city” comparison, but I think that’s what my wife and I are looking for these days.

Apr 3, 18 9:03 am  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Geezer, thanks for the input on NOLA. I’ve heard that the politics there is clique-ish at its best and corrupt at its worst. Definitely something that scares me about moving there. As far as hurricanes, yeah, it’s not ideal, but I’ve spent over 20 years of my life in Miami. The impacts of global warming as a whole are a greater concern for costal cities, imo.

Apr 3, 18 9:13 am  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

thisisnotmyname, thx.

Apr 3, 18 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Charleston, SC, is worth a look. Especially this time of year.

Mar 31, 18 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

But isn't Charleston hideously expensive?

Apr 1, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I have lived in Miami and the DC area but not Charleston. Different guides show Charleston to be less expensive than Miami and a lot less expensive than the DC/Northern Virginia area. A quick glance at house prices online indicate you can live in the Charleston burbs without too much stress.

Apr 1, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve considered Charleston, and it’s a possibility. I replied to a previous comment, that I’m considering a masters program in Greenville SC. Charleston could be a place to move to afterwards, as I imagine there will be professional connections made through the program. Thx again.

Apr 3, 18 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Just a thought - Clemson is located very near Greenville and has a satellite campus in Charleston as well. Good luck.

Apr 3, 18 9:16 am  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Thx, the masters of real estate development program at Clemson is in downtown Greenville.

Apr 3, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: