Archinect
anchor

computers and architecture

steele

Regardless of the argument of whether students need to learn softwares for the sake of their careers, what are some of the fundamental differences between projects designed on a drafting board and those designed in a drafting software?

I would especially like to hear from professionals that were educated before the CAD days who were there when they put the drafting tables away and brought out the IBM's. (I was 8 when this happened.. a happy recipient of a gigantic drafting table.)

From the students I would like to hear how your institutions push or ignore the technology and very specifically how it is integrated into your curriculum.

Jan 10, 05 3:08 pm
test999

I learned software, not softwares. Nice work there chief !

Jan 10, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

When I were a lad…..

I started my first work experience where the only computer was that used by the secretary. Working in several practices in the early 90’s no computers were used to draft. By the time I emerged from the bosom of education in the late 90’s computers were there, if not always used. In the coming months an office reorganisation will see the departure of the 5 of the remaining 7 A0 drawings boards. Compare that to a studio with 50 CAD workstations.

A parametric model created in Revit, AutoCAD Desktop, Bentley Triforma enables users to generate multiple cross referenced drawings (elevations, sections, plans, 3D visualisation) in a fraction of the time a team of draughtsperson would take. The use of standard construction details and detailed schedules means that information management and issue can be integrated into the drawing process holistically.

‘Old Skool’ methods went when 1 person could produce twice the work in half the time. More efficient more money – so they say.

A pen draughtsperson would lean drafting technique as a way of communicating the ideas of architecture. This free form expression has the obvious advantages of a simple link between brain to hand to pen to paper, however constraints of the media and artistic skill can hinder the communication of a complex architectural solutions. A mouse draughtsperson has to undergo a separate type of logic training; that of leaning a computer language (GUI) for software interphase.

A drawing board and Intelligent Architectural software serve the same purpose. The benefits of placing technology at the link between idea and finished form enables the user to expand the possibilities thought the whole construction process; from inception to completion and feedback.

What I’m really trying to say is that the fundamental difference between projects designed on a drafting board to those designed in drafting software is that you can continue to work on a drawing board during a power cut.

Jan 10, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: