Archinect
anchor

what happened at the FLW ENNIS_BROWN house in LA?

matteo

I've recently been in LA on vacation and i did just a quick architectural tour. gehry, meier, schindler and of cousre FLW houses..... when i went to see the ennis brown house i had been so disappointed. what a shame, a complete mayan ruin.... i thought nobody was living there and the house have been left in abandonment, but two dogs were barking from the main door.
anyone knows what it is going on there?

Jan 9, 05 6:48 pm
citizen

I don't know what's going on with the ownership or occupancy of the house, but all of FLW's textile block houses have had a rough go of it, for decades. I believe the problem is with the materials used in the aggregate of the blocks themselves; the inevitable infiltration of water has deteriorated much of the construction. The Freeman House is likewise in a shambles; it is now owned by USC's architecture school (like the Gamble House), so the hope is that big funds will become available for proper restoration. Wright's Storer House, another textile block building, has been restored to amazing condition, but by a (very) wealthy private owner. Money matters.

Jan 9, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
gasp

it is under restoration right now. i saw a fundraise campaign that was asking for donations of $100 a block. a paint product (some old school sears product i think) was applied to the blocks on the exterior after it was discovered they were not so durable. the paint trapped moisture inside and made the deterioration more rapid. now the product is peeling and looks horrid.

(the two dogs you saw barking actually have their very own textile block dog house! there is a texile cat house too.)

Jan 9, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

recently read in an AIA/CC publication that Marmol Radziner is restoring La Minatura, the textile block house around the corner from the Gamble House.

Jan 10, 05 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: