Archinect
anchor

Anything going on in Hartford, CT?

I live about 30 minutes north of Hartford and never hear of any interesting work coming out of this city... does anyone know if there are any progressive boutique offices working in Hartford or is this city architecturally DOA? I'm just a little curious about my neighbor to the south.

Jan 7, 05 12:04 pm
mm

Ceasar Pelli just won the competition for the science museum. His firm is in New Haven, though.

It seems like there's a decent amount of construction occurring in Hartford these days, but I'm guessing that most of it is designed by outside firms.

By the way, in what town do you live? I grew up in the Amherst-Northampton area, not too far from there.

Jan 7, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, when driving through Hartford on I-84 I've seen that theres a lot of construction occuring, and I'm aware of the Pelli project, but wasn't aware of anyone really doing anything in Hartford.

I'm living in Chicopee, which is right off of the MassPike and I-391. I'm about 15 minutes from Amherst/Northampton. I'm working in downtown Springfield.

Jan 7, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Don't forget Gehry's doing a building on UCONN over in Storrs (that's home). They've got $20 billion to blow. It's a shame that they are only taking $30 mil to do something decent (although I think it's one of his worst designs in a while, and I am a big fan).

Van Berkel won a competition to add to the Wadsworth (sp), but it was cancelled or put on hold. Too bad.

Along with teh Pelli building, there are a bunch of lofts, restaurants, convention center, etc., that are being built.

I think there is a good chance that CT will start to have good design very soon and grow rapidly. I won't elaborate 'cause it's all part of my master plan ;-)

Jan 7, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

Pixel,
Which firm do you work at? I interned at Dietz & Co. for a couple summers. Anything exciting and new in the city?

Jan 7, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Oddly enough, ODR, thats the firm I'm sitting in right now.

And there isn't anything really new and exciting in Springfield per say... they're redoing the Civic Center on Main Street, but doesn't seem overly impressive from the rendering on project sign. UMass Amherst has an accredited architecture program now, but I'm willing to guess that it won't have much if any impact on local design. Its rather unfortunate...

Jan 7, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

Hmm.... Interesting. There are some very nice people there.
I don't see W. Mass every becoming progressive in a modern sense. They tend to veer toward earthy crunchy if they go progressive at all.

I moved to San Diego after school and I'm still fighting the urge to give everything a pediment and some dentels.

Jan 7, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Yup, the people here are definately great, and the office is a lot more employee orientated than another on in Springfield that I've worked for. Western Mass definately leans towards the earthy-crunchy side of things... not that there is anything wrong with that, but it gets old fast (as I'm sure that you're aware).

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago were you here at Dietz? If you'd rather not respond in the forum, feel free to drop me an email.

Jan 7, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
h1

Not a whole lot going on in offices in Hartford. . .Tai Soo Kim (www.tskp.com) , corporate, but actually have a steady flow of interesting work (schools and such) - otherwise, you could think about moving north to boston or south to New Haven/NY. . .

Jan 7, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

I went to school in Boston, tried to get a job out there when I graduated but didn't have any luck (although I'll admit I was pretty picky with which firms I sent my resume to). I'd like to move back there, but I need to save up the money first and then try to find a job... same thing with NYC or anywhere else. I was just curious as to if anyone was attempting to push the proverbial envelope in Hartford, as its close enough for me to commute to if I were to look for a job out there.

Jan 7, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

tai soo kim does clean work and various different projects. Not the most exciting but his work is in the modernist vein... check it out

Jan 8, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: