Archinect
anchor

teaching opportunities in europe

history

hello...
does anyone know of any good resources on finding architect/interior architecture teaching opportunties in europe?
more of a summer or semester thing not really a permanent thing.
manly in english/spainsh speaking insitutions.
thanks
h

Jan 7, 05 11:05 am
spiderdad

try www.jobs.ac.uk

Jan 8, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
TED

just like the states, short term stints in teaching only are gained via networking, sitting on lots of juries, recognized work/writing or perhaps from your degreed school and since there is so many going after the few low paid positions, it not something you will find readily advertised. they generally only advertise special visiting or tenure tract pernament positions. the 6 or so arch related programs in chi town never need to formally look for temps as the field is saturated.

unless you have something exceptionally special to offer them such as a published body of work, writing, past teaching experience etc. its not something your pure design brilliance will open doors to. i suspect you dont because you wouldnt need to ask. to work 3 months or 3 days in europe still takes a visa. no one is going to bother so if you dont have a eu passport, its not going to happen.

that said there are often full time teaching in AR and includes often positons in asia and middle east. journal of architectual ed and association of colliegiate schools of arch often have full time foriegn positions listed.

you might try your school you graduated from and see if you can do the teach the year abroad program with them. although i will say its really a 'good gig' for tenured faculty who rarely like to give it up, you might be lucky. you would be paid via the us.

Jan 8, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

here in europe there are just few schools that have summer-schools programsand those are mainly in england, london.
if you are lucky u could find a job for an entire year. i don't know, it's really difficult to find an academic job in this field, and the schools tend to hire their own freshly graduated student for assistantship or hire already professors.
there's a new young schools called "istituto europeo design", mainly based in italy, but have schools in spain too, www.ied.it they offer summer courses and they always add new courses every year. you can try there.
but there will be the problem of a working visa, so i guess that at the end u can just follow what TED already said. try to find an american university with a branch school over year and try to be hired by them. as TED said u will be paid via the us, u will pay taxes in us and u will need just a student/researcher visa....easier to get.

Jan 9, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
history

thanks a bunch for all your input.

Jan 9, 05 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

sure thing

Jan 22, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: