Archinect
anchor

A notation of descriping architecture in bad English

jlxarchitect

"Urban Dwelling - a House without Depth

The environment instability which afflicts contemporary urban dwelling is related to the fact that the dichotomic division of inside/outside in the variety of systems constituting reality could not correspond any more with the classical sense of inside/outside division shown by physical and visual media.

”¦"

I think it doesn't clarify what the author try to tell, instead, it complicate his original meaning. What is your opinion?

Jan 6, 05 1:13 pm
taboho

so confused. =(

Jan 6, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

and what was his original meaning?

Jan 6, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Whatever it means, germatriculator says it's 26% evil and 74% good.
The Germatriculator
That makes me feel better about staring at that confusing block of text for the past ten minutes.

Jan 6, 05 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

What is reality?
His idea is so lame he has to hide it behind academy speak. His primary goal is to gather an adoring audience.

Jan 7, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

so we're all in agreement that the dichotomic division does not correspond to the classical division is a fact?
good.
now we can proceed with Preparation H.

Jan 7, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

another gem

Population, Space and Place

This ‘Linking Transnational Migrants and Transnationalism’ special issue (vo.1O, no.5) adds to the debate about how transnational migrants can be most effectively conceptualised, as well as to the understanding of the complex and multidimensional spaces of tra nsnationalism.

From a press release sent out by the publishers John Wiley

48% evil, 52% good

Jan 7, 05 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

i think this paragraph is talking about how the reality of contemporary dwelling and the image (media) we have of classical dwelling are the same.

I don't think that is what the author intended though. I think what they intended to show was that the image of contemporary dwelling is fucked up and that the image of classical dwelling is ideal.

the statement of "inside/ outside" is a bit confusion. the author might be referring to how people on the "outside" perceive the habitat of the "inside" in both cases. for each, contemporary and classical, the notion of what is ideal is flipped. example: in contemporary, the image of having a big house and lots of things inside (material possession) is ideal when the outside world is falling apart. in classical, the outside is ideal as the inside is primative. this is the "American Beauty" paradox. . . . things aren't what they seem.

my twe cents. it is pretty confusing. writing like this only further alienates the public from architectural theory.

i also find the misspelling in the thread title somewhat ironic.

Jan 7, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
infernocp

some chick in my studio class constanlty said "interior space and outerior space" This has nothing to do with this thread, I just thought it was funny.

Jan 7, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Please contiune. I want to see what the native English speaking people think abou this kind of architectural speech.

I don't know why some architecture theory article looks like the ones created by the lawyer. The sentence is so long that the reader will likly lost the logic between it when they reach the end.

I believe Rem won't create so much vague comments, right?

So far, I see Devil Dog is closest to catch the meaning. I will post the full but not long article and demonstration poster later.

Jan 7, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: