Archinect
anchor

opinion on internship

feliz

Ive worked at a VERY prestigious firm for 5 years now, it was my first after college. Most firms were firing so I accepted any position and pay I was offered and am so grateful. However, my pay hasn't really raised since then and I'm making $10-15k less then those in my area with my experience, according to the us bureau of labor and statistics and AIA. I've even brought 7 serious and fruitful projects through my connections. Yes, 7 in 5 years. I asked for a raise last year as I noticed they were hiring a lot. Told no. However, they don't make me work super long hours and I enjoy my colleagues. The management is super corporate though, not my style & it's getting draining. One of my clients, who I've known since childhood, has offered me a position to assist their construction manager on a project I designed. It'd be part time but the pay is still great. The extra time off would allow me to study and finish my AREs. But, I know the job would be temporary, which is scary. Do I stay at the underpayed internship with the great coworkers but feeling unappreciated. Or, do I take the temporary construction experience with people i trust, great pay and finally get licensed? Anyone have a life advice they'd like to share? Much appreciated.

Mar 8, 15 9:04 pm
Carrera

Construction experience is the missing ingredient in producing good architects.... if it wouldn't interrupt the flow to licensing.... sounds like you are still financially flexible... and a "Rain Maker".... could be a springboard to private practice, was for me.

Mar 8, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
feliz

thanks Carrera ! I really agree with your opinion on construction experience. And congrats on starting a private practice. That takes real grit and guts. 

Mar 9, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Feliz, well thanks, but the "congrates on starting" is a little late, 44 years late. Anything you can add to your quiver is a parlay….I called them “bubbles”, every time I got a project I got paid 2, 3 or 4 times for the same thing, as an architect, CM, Realtor & developer…”Double Bubble”, “Triple Bubble”….you don’t need to be everything,  but 2 arrows are better than one.

Mar 9, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: