Archinect
anchor

Concerning Top schools. Ivies I guesS? About financial aid what makes them different from one another.

ieugenei

Is it true that if you are able to get in an ivy league, then financial aid shouldn't be that big of a problem? Or does your family financial situation have to do with it. Im sure they're not going to give a rich kid a lot of doe, but what if someone more towards the poor side has the ability to get himself/herself accepted to an Ivy League school? I heard that the government is usually open to supporting them with federal financial aid am I right?

Also I always hear people say this and that about Yale, Harvard, princeton, and Columbia. But what is it that they focus on the most that makes people prefer on over the other? In another recent post, 'dammson' I believe mentioned "columbia, i'm not into their stuff' what does that mean? What kind of stuff are their studies geared to?

Jan 2, 05 3:15 pm

penn - paying isn't that big of a problem as long as you don't mind borrowing $30K a year

i have 0 net worth, and i filed independently of my parents. I received a $5K grant and 18K in federal loans. Penn said they'd cover the rest in 'private loans,' which means they refer me to Citibank, and I can take out a loan at a shitty rate that starts accruing interest now.

They're happy to lend you as much as you need/want - you just need to pay it back some day, and interest starts accruing today.

Jan 3, 05 2:07 am  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

The issue with the IvyLeague schools are that the name is what will get you somewhere, but once you get there you'll be hard-pressed to get up to speed in the industry. The top tier schools have the money to bring in great lecturers and well-known critics that focus on the THEORY of architecture. While theory is a good thing when you're lead designer in your own firm, it does very little for you when you start out in the business at an enty-position job. The key to the rest of your career is to gain a good mix of theory and practical knowledge. The physical construction of a building piece by piece, must be thoroughly known before even thinking about desiging one to be built. If you're out to become a great paper architect then you're well off, but if you really want to make your mark on the World you've got to esure that you are well rounded. As far as financial aid goes, many universities are great towards assisting students who deserve it. Sometimes they help you out the entire way, or they can do what Cornell has done to several of my friends by offerring them a full ride for the first year, only to take it all away when they apply for their second year. Good luck and be careful.

Jan 3, 05 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: