Archinect
anchor

Building Type A or B

wurdan freo

If I remember correctly suffix A or B in defining construction type refers to sprinklered versus non sprinklered. For the life of me I cannot find where this is defined. Any insight appreciated. IBC 2009.

Mar 2, 15 6:39 pm
JLC-1

page 89

Mar 2, 15 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

A or B is protected or unprotected -

You can have protected or unprotected construction irrespective of fire suppression...

Mar 2, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Type A" buildings are ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, impatient, anxious, proactive, and concerned with time management. 

"Type B" buildings live at a lower stress level and typically work steadily, enjoying achievement but not becoming stressed when they do not achieve. They may be creative and enjoy exploring ideas and concepts. They are often reflective.

Mar 2, 15 6:58 pm  · 
2  · 
shellarchitect

all buildings have a little A-ness somewhere

Mar 2, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

JeromeS is correct.  But SneakyPete is right.

Mar 2, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

See table 601 of the 2006 IBC.  Not certain what table it is in 2009.

Hourly ratings for walls, floors, etc

Nothing to do with sprinklers unless footnote e applies

Mar 3, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

For the life of me, I still can't find it. Ive read all of chapter 5 multiple times. Is there somewhere that specifically says A= protected B= unprotected? Please hurry... I'm running out of lives!!!

Mar 5, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

told you, page 89 ibc 2009, table 601

Mar 5, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

That is because you want it to be that simplified.  The code does not state protected or unprotected.

It gives you several tables.  The first that you should look at is in chapter 5 for allowable height and building areas.  Then look at chapter 6 for fire resistance rating requirements.

So if you have a restaurant and it is 7000 sq. ft. you cant be a type 5b building, unless you either have an area modification due to frontage increases and sprinkler systems.  So then you need to go to a type 5a building and you go to chapter 6 and find table 601 which gives you your fire ratings.

Mar 5, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Table 601 shows "0" for the req'd rating for all the B line items and shows "1" for most the A line items (with a footnote to allow sprinklers instead in many cases)

Mar 5, 15 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
hammerhead

Difference between A an B is nothing more than time. 

Oct 16, 17 1:01 am  · 
 · 
hammerhead

New to this forum and hadn't figured out how to edit but just wanted to add that sprinkler designations are found in 903.

Oct 16, 17 1:04 am  · 
 · 
kevmanderson

You might be looking for Table 508.3.3 (required separation of occupancies) in IBC 2006.  It shows mixed occupancy separations utilizing sprinklered vs non-sprinklered.

Oct 15, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
ZSZSZS

The two broad categories, A and B, are based on the inherent fire resistance of the material and the degree of fire protection applied over the structural member. "A" denotes protected while "B" is unprotected.

Sep 21, 22 8:52 am  · 
 · 
rafaelparedes

Ok, so A is protected, B is Unprotected. 

What counts as protected? Meaning, does the material have to be covered with protection or can sprinklers count as "protected structure"?

Sep 4, 23 10:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

sprinklers do not count as protection

Sep 4, 23 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: