Archinect
anchor

Say you have an idea, but no way of getting it out

ieugenei

say you have an idea, something that could possibly be big. but you're not yet an architect, not yet in arch school. what should you do? sketch it and just wait till you know the right people?

i know i talk a lot on this site. but i also do a lot on my own to to back it up. i got this idea that could really be of use. don't want to say, cause im paranoid the idea could be taken away by a student/architect. because im not in arch school yet all i can think of to do is just draw it out, plan it up and just hold on.. is that my only option?

Dec 29, 04 6:36 pm
Tectonic

Hint: Stop working on the idea and start working on the idea of getting the money to fund the idea.

Dec 29, 04 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

you can try and enter a competition

Dec 29, 04 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

why can't you get it out? cause it's not a complete thought? cause you don't have the experience to back you up and make someone believe in you? can you not draw it so that it can be understood?

Dec 29, 04 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

strawbeary:
the experience to back me up to make someone believe..
most likely i'll have the idea sketched out and everything and saved for later use.

competition doesn't seem like a bad idea at all, only trouble may be finding the competition to submit to since most competitions usually have a certain underlying theme..

tectonic: thats hard for me.

Dec 29, 04 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

save it for your thesis?

Dec 29, 04 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
drawdraw

Focus on representing it rather than protecting it.

Dec 30, 04 5:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

What kind of idea is this? A product? A building? A process?

This answer will make a HUGE difference.

Dec 30, 04 8:32 am  · 
 · 
ieugenei

yes trace, it's a building concept. the actual building is fit for a particular geographic area.

Dec 30, 04 9:35 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

your idea has been done before

Dec 30, 04 9:50 am  · 
 · 
ieugenei

it's still worth my time.

Dec 30, 04 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

ieugenei,

"That's hard for you"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............Damn!!! Well if it was easy someone would have done it already. Get out there out there my man..........get MONEY!!!

Dec 30, 04 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

What do you expect to gain from this idea?

If it's marketable, you can find money with simply an idea. You just need to show someone how they, as well as you, can profit. Talk to a friend with experience writing grant proposals.

If it addresses a social issue such as homelessness or hunger or sustainability, you can find people willing to help. Figure out who it serves and who the stakeholders are and take it to them. Again, this may be a grant-writing opportunity.

If it's fame you want, forget about it until it fits one of the above.

The rule of patents is applicable here. If you can develop enough of a description - graphic, verbal, etc. - that you can define a thing and communicate its value, then you can be recognized as the originator of the idea. (It has to be something that can definitely work, can be made in the way that you describe it, and serves the stated purpose effectively.) You can even do the poor-man's copyright and mail this evidence to yourself, the postmark establishing a verifiable date of documentation.

If it's a vague pie-in-the-sky ideal/idea, then it's not yet of any use to anyone and you might as well get others to help you work it through. A brilliant idea that remains lodged in your brain does no one - not even you - any good at all.

Dec 30, 04 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

steven ward, you draw some excellent points for me.

its not fame i want, if anything having a professional look over and critique and give advice over my idea would be awesome. and if possible maybe contribute somehow and at the very most (not expecting it but) spark ideas for a group of people (a firm or so? but thats the best case scenario).

do you think you can point out more about patent? a little bit more of how much details i need for it to be a solid idea. i might actually do that poor man's copyright and mail to myself, never thought of that, but isnt the date only marked on the envelop or does that not matter?

Dec 31, 04 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

US Patent Office gives full instructions for what is required to file a patent. It's pretty involved and is subject to review. Go to: www.uspto.gov

The poor man's copyright: You just don't open it. You know what's inside. You'll never need to open it. It stays in your bottom drawer unless you find an actionable infringement, at which point the sealed package with cancellation becomes evidence. I've known self-published songwriters and writers to use this in the past. Harder for an artifact than for text or media.

Note that it's not a sure thing 'cause there can always be a complaint about your having tampered with the seal, opened and resealed, etc. (unless you find a way to solve that), but it's not nothing.

Dec 31, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

to steven ward or anyone else who can assist:

what would you say is sufficient enough for an idea. what would i have to detail in and specify. could you possibly just list some factors to consider? (for example: sketches of exterior, interior, concept report, models? etc)

Dec 31, 04 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

oh and what do you think about submitting to this site for the gallery?

Dec 31, 04 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

is this a structural system? a cladding system? a plan? i know that you're being coy on purpose, but we won't be able to help if we have no idea what we're talking about.

it's unlikely that you'd use the patent for a building - that was just a f'rinstance. a patent would be much more fitting for an element or particular assembly in a building. exceptions, however, might be small pods for the homeless or tents for refugees like those developed by shigeru ban a few years ago >buildings which qualify as inventions.

the things which you would need to tell someone are those things which make this thing different from anything else out there. if you're making a box of concrete block and something happens inside it, obviously the cmu box is not the important factor. if you're putting a translucent goatskin roof that can conduct electricity on top of the concrete box, the roof is what you need to describe.

in other words, put on your critical thinking cap and treat this like any school project in which you have to tell the reviewers why is this important and good and different from everything else that they've seen.

Dec 31, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

structural system and plan.. but i still need to think more about how it could be possible..
it deals with the exterior structure of the building.

Dec 31, 04 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

le corbusier already did it...

Jan 1, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

and somebody already said that joke..

Jan 1, 05 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: