any advice on firms in new mexico or arizona

Dec 29, 04 5:33 pm
stephanie

new mexico
i interviewed with mazria once...
walked through predock's office.
arizona
will bruder
i dont know what it is like working for any of them though.
and i don't really know anything about any lesser known firms.
i've met all these dudes though, and generally thought they seemed like good people...

Dec 29, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

rick joy
jones studio

Dec 29, 04 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

Rick Joy and Jones Studio are two that i was definitely interested in. the Jones' are alums from my school so that could be a foot in the door. How about any other lesser known firms w/ good people and good work?

Dec 30, 04 9:30 am  · 
 · 
mdler

marwan al sayed

Dec 30, 04 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i visited jones studio and they seem to have a lot of reputation. they just constructed a department building at ASU and it's quite impressive. there is also another firm, Hu Bing International, that has a lot of fame. They have offices in pacific, asia, and america. didn't samuel mockbee come from arizona? I interned for an arch firm this summer. From what i see, most of the architecture built in arizona usually follow traditional styles of the ordinary 'santa fe' or southern style, especially in residential firms. (i worked for a residential firm).

Dec 30, 04 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Mazria is great if your are interested in solar / sustainability...Will Bruder has a great firm in Arizona...really inspiring work.

I work at Predock's in Albuquerque and its good experience especially if your interested in competition work. It is a charette shop mainly...all boards and models are produced in house...but cd's are usually done elsewhere...basically its a design/competition studio.

Mike Reynolds is still doing alot of inteesting work up in Taos.
http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/earthship.htm

Bart Prince is also in Albuquerque
http://www.bartprince.com/

Feb 11, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

check out dekker/perich/sabatini they may actually hire you.

Feb 12, 05 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Many have discovered that New Mexico is quite enjoyable when you bring a genetic defect or deficiency along with you.

Feb 12, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Devin

In Arizona Check out
Wendell Burnette
Architekton
Debartolo Architects
studio ma
marwan al sayed
All really good stuff

Feb 12, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

are you looking for a job with a quality firm or just want to tour some offices of firms who get published? just curious because a lot of the people listed here work alone or with one or two people

Feb 13, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Predock doesn't work alone...There are about 25 people in our office with about 15 - 20 of us doing/working on charette's etc...just get a good portfolio together and they will more than likely give youn an opportunity...talk to them sooner than later though so that they are aware of your interest in advance....this goes for basically anywhere. Goodluck in your search.

Feb 13, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just ride up to antoine on your vincent black lightning and he'll love ya

Feb 13, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

no shit.

Feb 13, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

the rides in the office are definatly hot...I did happen to speak with him once about riding and he still gets excited about it...though he doesnt ride as much as he used to, bikes and riding are still a large force in his work.

Feb 13, 05 10:43 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Vado, where are you located?

Feb 13, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am in cyberspace

Feb 13, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that's so 1999...I hang on the internets maeng.

Feb 13, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am definitely a twentieth century guy jason. lived in albucrackee for twelve years dude. now in chicago

Feb 13, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

cool...i have yet to do chicago, but have many friends who keep telling me to take a trip...they are all amazing poster artists...very creative scene there.

If you ever find yourself back in the desert let me know.

cheers.

Feb 13, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
charbroil

Hello jasoncross. I used to work at Predock's years ago; it was a good experience. I miss New Mexico, but there is no money and only 2 or 3 offices that are worth a damn. Eat some green chile at Ermie's for me. And make sure you get that sandwich order right for Antoine.

By the way, other predock alums include Greg Lynn...interestingly. He worked on the Cal Poly project if I'm not misstaken.

Feb 14, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

char - nice to meet another predock alum.

its been great experience and we have had alot of success recently...I have even been allowed to do some screenprinting (a lifelong passion of mine) on our proposals.

I am about to go to the Frontier for lunch and will be sure to get an extra ammount of green chilis added to my huevos rancheros.

The desert is great for the constitution but not for the wallet...very true...for now they are balancing out :)

Let me know if your ever in the neighborhood.

Feb 14, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
charbroil

I was at frontier my last trip back. That place is crazy now, what's up with the metal detector's and police everywhere. And I heard someone ripped off the John Wayne..bastards.

Did you grow up in New Mexico? I am a native, live in SF now.

Feb 14, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Being from mutiple divorces I made my way here in 86' as my father moved here for work...graduated high school in 89' from El Dorado...immediatly left back to my first home, Austin Texas.

I recently moved back so my wife could do her medical residency here, she is focusing on family practice/rural medicine...and UNM is tops in that field...I have returned to get a Arch degree at UNM...started at UH in Houston while my wife was finishing up medical school at Baylor...prior to that I spent 8 years as a graphic/web designer in Austin.

Frontier just gets all the rif raf...I suspect something violent happened at one point and they had to up security...though I rarely see any presence of it.

How are you enjoying SF? what kind of work are you doing?

Feb 14, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
charbroil

I love SF. I am mainly doing residential work (including 1 project in New Mexico). I hope I can stay here, but a 100,000 dollar house in Albuquerque is the same as a 1,000,000 dollar house in SF. Not gonna happen on an architects income. I need to marry rich...just kidding.

Feb 14, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the people that own the frontier used to be my landlords. miss their huevos soooooooo much. whats the status of the new architorture school??

Feb 14, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Its supposed to be breaking ground latter this year...lots of additions were made so that put the scheduled date back...they have added the fine arts library to the program which I think will help emmensely in encouraging people to stay on top of the design/art field within the building.

At the University of Houston the library for architectureis on the bottom floor of the architecture building and it was soo useful for students in need of inspiration, knowledge, etc...and kept them within the school and interested...at UNM many students hardly spend any time in studio...its not nearly as nice as UH...but I know much of what they want the school to become is based off of the success UH has had with its new building.

I am sad though that I will be long gone by the time it is done...but I do think it will do a world of good for the program and the changes are making even better than it would have been.

mmmmmm huevos rancheros.

Feb 14, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they should have designed the new school around the frontier

Feb 14, 05 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Its gonna be right across the street from the old school in the parking lot...right next to Antoine's parking garage that was recently built...Frontier, Library, Frontier, Library...that is really tough but my stomach is siding with green chili right now :)

Feb 14, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: