Archinect
anchor

Benefits and Downfalls of Arch Practice in Other Countries. Europe and Asia?

ieugenei

What do you say are the benefits and downfalls of starting a firm or working for a firm overseas. We have a lot of North American perspective here, but what about elsewhere?

My cousin, graduated from F.I.T.(nyc) with Interior Architecture. Although that is not exactly an M.Arch or B.arch, he has started a firm with 3 other friends of his in Seoul, South Korea (Among his friends, an M.Arch or B.Arch). His firm is going very well, bringing Japanese and American styles to the table when designing for clients.

I feel that it's an awesome experience to maybe work in Asian or Europe. I'd, personally, be certainly interested in working in either Japan, HongKong, Korea, Germany, or UK. But one concern is after you've lived the hype of working overseas and feel like returning back, is it harder to get a job again in the states? I personally don't think so. But I understand other fields other than architecture, it may be the case.

Dec 29, 04 3:37 pm
yesyes

It might be an idea to go to overseas to have working experience then return to use your knowledge. If you stay in the states, you might not have enough knowledge to break into a decent company.

Dec 30, 04 9:08 am  · 
 · 
ieugenei

i have traveled to many countries and yes i'm quite considering studying abroad. maybe i could find some work while studying. Could be a good idea. thanks, i'll definitely look into it.

Dec 30, 04 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

In my experience the perspectives you gain from going abroad are invaluable. I have done my studies in Sweden (with quite a bit of input from european countries) and have just spent half a year in Texas. The perspectives in architecture are really drastically dfferent in Europe and the States and I would not have exchanged this semester for anything. I also believe that exchange semesters are a very good way for an european to learn from the States, as opposed to working there, and that most certainly goes the other way around too.

As for the rest of the world, I believe that a working experience would be more valuable. I have been discouraged from attending asian schools (except perhaps from japanese) but plan to go to Shanghai as soon as I find a year or two to spare. There you can get exprience from leading large scale projects that would never be possible at my age in the States or Europe. And that would certainly make it easier to get a job back home later.

I know of one cutting edge office that is setting up a scholarship fund just to get European students to go to asia in order to get expecience...

Dec 30, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
on my way

Just testing

Dec 30, 04 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: