Archinect
anchor

model builders?

infernocp

Alot of my professors say that I have pretty decent model building skills, much more so than my drawing skills. How much do model builders make on average. I'm thinking like internship between semesters or first couple years out of school. What are the pros and cons of being a model builder rather than a CAD monkey?

Dec 28, 04 2:57 pm
mdler

$250 a day starting rate if you are building models for film in LA...something to ponder if you enjoy building models

Dec 28, 04 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I worked for many years in this trade. There is money in it if you A: work in the film industry or B: own your own model shop. If you plan on working for a model shop you can expect to make an average salary. The work is tedious and not as fun as it was in school. However you often discover alot of mistakes that the architect never saw.

Dec 28, 04 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

Is it fairly easy to get into the film industry?

Dec 28, 04 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Like any other industry it helps to know somone but if you plan on living in LA it won't take you long.

Dec 28, 04 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
yesyes

What does 'trade' means?

Dec 29, 04 12:22 am  · 
 · 
infernocp

you've got to be kidding me

Dec 29, 04 8:32 am  · 
 · 
BigGoron

.....WOW.....

Dec 29, 04 9:00 am  · 
 · 
yesyes

infernocp: same to you.

Dec 29, 04 10:11 am  · 
 · 
JG

it means that we trade models with each other much like Topps baseball cards.

Dec 29, 04 10:27 am  · 
 · 
yesyes

JG: Mechanical engineer also likes to use this word 'trade'. Is it English or a specail term used in construction field?

Dec 29, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

yesyes - trade is just slang for tirade.

Dec 29, 04 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

yesyes,

It's not specific to construction. A "trade" is a set of skills, a craft, or an industry. For instance, "the building trade" is the same as "the building industry." You can say (about a plumber, for instance) "he practices his trade well" and that means the same as "he's a good plumber." You can use the word "trade" in reference to almost any type of industry, but it usually is used in relation to hands-on type of businesses--construction, maintenance, plumbing, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 04 11:28 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

oh you're no fun anymore....

Dec 29, 04 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Yeah, I get that a lot....

Dec 29, 04 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
yesyes

snjr : Thank you very much. That is just what I want to know.

Dec 29, 04 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: