Archinect
anchor

Resume Job History

Bennythejetr
When listing employment history on your resume, how do you address work history that is irrelevant to the position you are applying for?

For instance, I'm currently a project engineer and intend to apply to similar construction management positions, however my history includes 2 years of unemployment and 1 year as a security guard. Should my resume reflect that, or should it focus on stuff thats relevant.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Feb 22, 15 12:34 pm
Carrera

Leave it off. It’s not only irrelevant but it’s a red flag. The beauty of what we do is we can always fill gaps or bad experiences with “Consulting” or “Private Practice”.

Feb 22, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

I would mention it a briefly as possible, so it at least looks like you are the kind of person who want's to be working.

Security guard Acme security Dec 2010-Jan 2012 

That is all you need

Security is related to construction management as sites have to be kept secure at all times, lots of valuable building materials and equipment get stolen every year from construction sites, I see a brief mention as a positive not a negative. 

Also to come full circle you can mention any training and job search in the gaps if you are posing in a time line style, people understand that we had a recession, holding a survivor job or getting some additional training is not a bad thing, shows initiative

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 23, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr
I can see how both can be beneficial. Thanks for your input.
Feb 23, 15 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: