Archinect
anchor

why A wall have different properties in various location?

yesyes

I am new to the CD. When I checked a drawing today, I found there is quite a difference for a wall in different location. One part of wall might be just 5" think made of Concrete. the other part may include 2" insulation. Why is that? Is there any rule to determine when I need to put more layers in a wall?

Dec 28, 04 12:21 am
Brim

Wall thickness depends what type of partition it is. Is it exterior or interior? Is it structural? Is it pre-cast or cast-in-place? Is it masonry or frame? Is it fire rated? Is it a plumbing wall? Is it sound attenuated? What sort of insulation / sheating / furring does it have? Is it metal studs or wood studs?

You really need to pay close attention to where the partition is happening in plan. You'll start to pick things up as you work in CD's more and more. As far as "layers" go - in our office we draw finished dimensions. For example if you have a 3-5/8" metal stud with 5/8" drywall on each side - we draw 4-7/8". If we have a 2x4 wood stud with 1/2" drywall ea. side - we draw 3-1/2" + 1" = 4-1/2". 8" masonry wall w/ 5/8" drywall, on 1-5/8" GMS channels, on 3/4" rigid = 8" (nominal) +3" furring.

Dec 28, 04 1:09 am  · 
 · 
yesyes

IN general, I guess the reason to use different materials in a wall Either in exterior or interior is that we want to:

1. provide structure support
2. prevent water penetration
3. prevent sound penetration

Brim: Thanks for telling me the general wall type used in your office. What does "furring" mean? I saw there is an extra material around the fire stair, is it for fire seperation?

Dec 28, 04 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Brim

Furring is a general term used for the layers that get added to a wall (mostly exterior). For example, in a lot of residential work here in florida, 8" nominal masonry block walls get 1x2 furring strips (.75" x 1.5" actual) over 3/4" ridig insulation (foil covered foam sheets). Add your 1/2" or 5/8" drywall over that and you get around 1-1/2" of "furring" off the interior face of the block wall. Makes sense?

Dec 28, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Brim

Yesyes: As for water penetration at walls, you need to look at penetration details such as flashing, cementitious coatings (stucco), paper / film wrap, (ie. Tyvek), backer rod & sealants, etc.

You should get a material & methods book for reference. I kept mine from school and it has been a good resource for questions that I'm too embarassed to ask in the office!!

Dec 28, 04 10:27 am  · 
 · 
A

You forgot #4 - provide thermal value

Dec 28, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i still want to know where/when/why people in construction started using the term furring.

Dec 28, 04 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
yesyes

Ok, A, here is my new version. Thanks for your addition.

1. provide structure support
2. prevent water penetration
3. prevent sound penetration
4. provide thermal value

Much apprecaite at your help, please contiune.

Brim : what is the book name you mentioned?

Dec 28, 04 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

stephanie:

I know of no other term used to describe furring? It's (furring) used by 99.9% of the contractors in the US. What other names are there?

Dec 28, 04 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Data

I would look to see if your office has standard wall type sheets. my preference is for exterior and interior, however, may individuals just do interior. of the wall type sheets are put together well, it should indicate all the walls you see in the plan you are working on.

Dec 28, 04 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

I'm not certain of the exact etymology of furring as it relates to construction, but it could be related to the french word Fuerre meaning Sheath, or Lining. It is likely a derrivation/expansion of the term furring, which is to cover or coat, as with fur. By this definition, furring is not limited to the 'strips' (metal or wood), but would also include the finished wall material (typically drywall).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=furring

Dec 28, 04 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
LFLH

"Fur" as it is used here is derived from a french word "fuerre" which meant something along the lines of " to cover or sheath."

yesyes: I think in your list you don't mean that the wall provides "penetration" - you mean "protection", "separation" or something like that.

As others have said, you should include "fire separation" in your list, as well as the idea of walls that are of a certain dimension in order to house plumbing, mechanicals, etc.

Dec 28, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

why is it furring if it's on the walls and furring if it's on the ceiling, but sleepers if on the floor? one of life's great mysteries...

Dec 30, 04 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the word furring makes my tongue feel big

the word slab makes my gut feel funny too

Dec 30, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

how 'bout slurry? that one always sounded kind of icky to me. and mastic.

Dec 30, 04 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: