Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

sirhc

@Hike Martirosyan

You are talking about Yale I assume? Yes, you check the online application. For me there's now clickable "view update" under "An update to your application was last posted March 4, 2015."

Mar 5, 15 5:16 am  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan

@sirhc

Thanks for the help. Yes, Yale March II. No such information in my application. Maybe international applicants will be notified later.

Mar 5, 15 5:40 am  · 
 · 

@Hike Martirosian

Same here, although I've applied for M.Arch I. I am also an international applicant and haven't heard from Yale yet (no email and no status updates in my account). However according to Grad Cafe some International students have been notified regardless of the outcome of their application. Still waiting.

Mar 5, 15 6:11 am  · 
 · 
tarolling

@Hike Martirosyan

I think that's reasonable. I also applied to March II, but nothing is updated in my application too. and im an international applicant.

Today, however, I got the official letter from Michigan finally!!!! Yes!!!!

On the whole, I have a feeling that they inform the international applicants of our results later than americans.

Mar 5, 15 6:18 am  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@AlirezaShojakhani

Same here, I am an international applicant , but still no change in email nor status . I think they give offer to Americans first ?

Mar 5, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 

@xsfxcx

Not sure. Like I said earlier, according to Grad Cafe a few international applicant have also heard back... some accepted, others rejected. I still haven't heard back from Taubman College either... I received the video but no official letter/offer yet. Good thing I've been accepted by Cornell and Sci-Arc make the wait less painful.

Mar 5, 15 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Ethan Hunt

@Hike Martirosyan

I do not get my response for Yale, either. I am also an International student.

Hope I can have a chance. Good LUCK!!! 

Mar 5, 15 8:40 am  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@Hike Martirosyan @AlirezaShojakhani

just got a change in application status for Yale .... a BIG no......

Mar 5, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Ethan Hunt

@xsfxcx

Yes. The same with you. Pity.

Mar 5, 15 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Pierre Thach

@Hike Martirosyan

I checked the online application. I am also an international applicant. There was a 'view update' notice on the online application platform. I didn't receive this update via e-mail.

Mar 5, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan

@Ethan @xsfxcx

The same! Do not give up, guys! 

Mar 5, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

Was rejected by Yale... Totally crashed:) Maybe next year...

Mar 5, 15 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
ad2289

@Hike Martirosian @sirhc @Yukikaze @tarolling I am an international student and my acceptance was posted yesterday via the website, no email though.

Mar 5, 15 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Anything from Columbia or GSD?

@sirhc 

I may ask what school did you apply for and what is your 1st choice to go to?

Mar 5, 15 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@unamuno

I was trolling through prior threads. Last year, GSD decisions were released on the first Friday of March, around 4:30PM EST. (Probably to mitigate the calls would get otherwise from upset applicants.)

So I'm optimistic that it will be released tomorrow at 4:30PM. 

Mar 5, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
kyuen87

Received acceptance to Cornell, any news on GSAPP?????!!!??

Mar 5, 15 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

Yale: In

UCLA: In

U of Michigan: In

Harvard: No Response

MIT: No Response

Princeton: No Response

Columbia: No Response

UPenn: No Response

Don't really have a first choice at this point. I only applied to schools that I liked after a good amount of research. Once I hear back from every school, I'll compare a lot of things again like finance, neighborhood, faculty, curriculum, student work, etc etc then decide.

Mar 5, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@sirhc

I am thinking in the same way too, waiting what other schools offer and what school I would get benefited from.

I would suggest you not to go to UPenn. There is nothing you can learn there, except how to design like Zaha and that's what I witnessed when I visited the school and attended a studio pinup. They have the most miserable work shops ever. It was a total disappointment for me, so I never applied for it. 

Mar 5, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

Interesting, I have a friend who went there about a year ago and told me that he absolutely loved it. Well, I'll think about it more if I actually get in. Thanks for your opinion!

Mar 5, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
jwfa

Undergraduate degree: BA Environmental Design, 2013

GPA:  3.6

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  150/155/3

PORTFOLIO: http://issuu.com/hermdog

# of letter of recommendations: 2 Professors 1 Employer

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded: M.Arch 1 & M.Arch 2

IN:

CCA - Advanced Placement

OUT:

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

University of California, Berkeley

Pratt

Preferences:

Hopefully Berkeley, but we shall see when they all come in. 

Mar 5, 15 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@jfmdvm

so no one have receive any news from Berkeley yet ...... I am also waiting for Berkeley to release their result.... so nervous, wish you luck !

Mar 5, 15 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

GSD is killing me..... I've been stress eating for days........

Mar 5, 15 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@dannydisg

Same. I'm hoping to god it comes out tomorrow or else I'm going to flip out of sheer anxiety. 

Mar 5, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

I know.. it's potentially tomorrow or sometime next week, hopefully.

Mar 5, 15 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@sirhc

I have a feeling someone from the GSD adcom is trolling this forum, and just for that, will purposefully release decisions later just to further relish in our pain. :P

Mar 5, 15 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

A friend of mine who is working on his phd degree there told me the school is still interviewing applicants overseas this week. But still, I really hope the result will come out tomorrow 

Mar 5, 15 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@dannydisg

Hoping they'll at least release the American results first. 

Mar 5, 15 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@dannydisg

They really do interview for oversea applicants ? ...... sigh...... I have not receive any interview, so should I have my finger cross for GSD ? ......

Do any international applicants to GSD have interview ? or is it just specific for China ones ? 

Mar 5, 15 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@xsfxcx

Yes they do, but mostly to applicants who do not meet their toefl requirement but have strong portfolios. 

Mar 6, 15 12:33 am  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@dannydisg 

I see.... hope then I didnt get it because I meet their toefl requirement. 

Thz Danny , wish u luck in GSD ! 

Mar 6, 15 12:42 am  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Unamuno 

@sirhc

Please inform yourself before giving misleading information on a specific program.

The University of Pennsylvania's Architecture school has been in a resurgence period since Winka Dubbeldam took leadership over the Architecture department after spending a couple of years without leadership. The school boasts an intensive program that expands on ideas of urbanity and the new-found opportunities presented by emerging technologies. While understanding software and technology forms a pivotal part of the curriculum, this one is well balanced with more practical courses such an Environmental Technologies and Construction Understands / Tectonic Systems. The foundation year brings together a diverse array of professors, from the sociopolitical work of young architect Eduardo Rega to the parametric experimentation of collaborative duo Danielle Willems and Ezio Blasetti. Not to mention the experimental work of the MOMA PS1 finalist Michael Loverich and the Tessellations installation where first semester students build a life-sized pavilion. In the advanced years you have the opportunity of working with an assortment of great professors such as Marion Weiss, Cecil Balmond, Laurie Olin, James Corner, Tom Wiscombe, Michael Rodjkind, Neil Denari, and more. However, some of the most exciting studios are led by the younger architects such as the ones mentioned previously along with people such as Nate Hume (founder of suckerpunch) and Kutan Ayata. 

As a current student at PennDesign I have been exposed to not only the present possibilities that exist within the field but to the future opportunities provided by our emerging technologies and rapid urbanization to redefine what it means to be an architect while collaborating with other disciplines such as the award winning Landscape Architecture program. These opportunities of collaboration are provided through collaborative studios and competition workshops such as the Wood-Shenckman competition held at the beginning of the foundation year's spring semester where architecture and landscape students worked together to redefine an abandoned pier on the Delaware River waterfront. One of the most unique opportunities PennDesign provides is the option to earn a dual-degree with many other disciplines, even outside of the design school, including the Wharton Business school and the School of Law. Personally, I am a dual-degree in Landscape Architecture and Architecture which has been an extremely enriching experience. As mentioned previously, the focus on urbanism has been highlighted as one of the reasons why Penn has risen to the 7th best architecture graduate program in 2015. Below you can find some of the work of the first year studios:

http://cargocollective.com/synergies

https://www.design.upenn.edu/sites/default/files/PressingMatters3.pdf

http://www.design.upenn.edu/architecture/graduate/work

I encourage everyone to do their own research and find the program that best fits their interests. It can be overwhelming at first with all the options presented to you, but take the time to visit the schools and talk to students and professors alike to get a better understanding of the program. Trust me, you don't want to misjudge what could be a great opportunity because of someone's misinformed opinion. 

Mar 6, 15 12:49 am  · 
 · 
sirhc

@back_forth

Thank you for your perspective. Are you MArch I or II? Student works are definitely interesting, thank you for sharing.

One of my recommenders is a Penn grad. He's an awesome guy/designer, was my boss, and told me a lot of positive things about the school. I know a handful of people who went to Penn, and loved it. Indeed, my co-worker who sits next to me is from Penn and has given me a lot of info, etc.

As for giving misleading information.. none of what Unamuno has said is a factual claim so you shouldn't necessarily see it as a 'misleading information'. It's not "information" but rather, his "opinion", we all know that I think, and it's a valid/fair opinion of his. It's interesting for me to hear someone speaking against the school, since all I've been hearing are good things. It's just that. And it's not like anyone will drop the school after reading a random person's negative opinion, you know.

I have a question for you though. When you applied to grad schools, what other schools did you get into(assuming you did) and what made you decide to go to Penn over other schools?

Mar 6, 15 3:37 am  · 
 · 
citizencities

@all 

Crossing my fingers for the GSD release today! Does anyone know if they release American applicants' decisions before international students? A bit annoying if I have to wait another week or two because of just a few interviews abroad... #selfishthoughts

Mar 6, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

@citizencities

On 2012, international and domestic decisions were released the same day (at least for the most part of the M.Arch 2 program). 

Mar 6, 15 10:12 am  · 
 · 
citizencities

@jpugarte1

Hm, well that's not conclusive at all then (but then again what really is with this game?). I'm actually an MLA applicant. I've anticipated this day for weeks now. :( 

Mar 6, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

@citizencities

I said "for the most part" because I obviously can't guarantee everyone was notified of their acceptance the same day. But answering your question, I do know that there were both international and US applicants among the people that received their admission notification on March 1st, 2012. Which means that if the GSD releases their decisions today, there is no reason why they would only do so with US (or international) applicants.

Good luck with the application. MLA I, AP or 2?

Mar 6, 15 10:36 am  · 
 · 
citizencities

@jpugarte1

Thanks, MLA 1

Mar 6, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
YLMS

It feels odd to me that MIT hasn't sent out any notification this week. Seems like they accepted/waitlisted a bunch of candidates last week so I was expecting a rejection email. Still hoping that's not the case though.

Mar 6, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
windupbird

@YLMS

Same here. From previous gradcafe posts it seems to hard to judge when they'll send out the rest of the emails as they seems to do it 3 or 4 different stages (also a lot of people there don't differentiate wether they are M.Arch or S.MarchS). I was hoping they'd get around to by the end of today, but if not we should know by next week!

Mar 6, 15 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@back_forth

Wow Wow back up a second, whatever I said it was just my opinion and what I saw when I visited Penn for the Open house.

Yes, I deliberately attended a studio pinup led by Mr. Ali (I forgot his last name) and other guy from Europe and it was totally shocking watching how they judge students and what was the point of departure of their studio. They were literally teaching guys how to design a shit. They critique was not driven towards ideas, or concepts, or logics but the appearance or rails and stuff. And those poor Asian students were only shaking their heads and were unable to engage in argument!  btw the whole MArch class was international students who hardly spoke English at all! Only one person whose English was understandable was a short Jersey/Philly kid and I am sure you are that guy. lol  

There is nothing wrong with not being able to speak English, but when one calls himself the best school in the universe, you have to make sure that the students you give the admission can speak English at a level to defense their ideas/concepts and being able to engage in arguments with anyone! and I did feel sorry for those kids who paid $###### for what? to be a Maya or Rhino monkey rest of their life?! well, good luck with that.

I don't need to be told how my wall and or rail should look, but the ideas they are built upon. 

And after this "great" studio pinup we were taken to their "famous" and "advanced" lab... I'll just say I am sure the Bronx community collage has got a better digital workshop and lab than UPenn.

That abovementioned European guy was telling us how cool the school is coz they got 3D printers in studio :facepalm: My kid brother had 3D printers in junior school in Brooklyn. :D

We don't need you lectures here.

The links you gave us there is nothing astonishing and different works from any other "cheap" schools.

So, to be clear and avoid getting lectured, no question UPenn is a good undergrad school, one of the best I would say, but not for a grad. If someone has a different opinion and wants to go there god bless. I just said what was my opinion and gave that opinion to the guy who just got into Yale and Michigan.

p.s. dual-degrees are also offered at university of Buffalo, where I did my MUP, and trust my UB has got away sophisticated and advanced facilities and labs then UPenn.

Mar 6, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

@YLMS 

I felt quite strange too. As I have applied to MIT last year already, I tried again this year . 

I remember last year should be around this time I have already receive an reject email from them.... but seems they have just notified several people.....Although it is such a small program, but it looks strange that only 2 or 3 applicants will take look into this forum and gradcafe for results ? ( even in previous years, those applicants will not upload their result in gradcafe , as I rmb one year was empty .... )

Mar 6, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@Unamuno

The way you just opted to express yourself from your choice of diction to your racial comments speaks deeply of your credibility and maturity. I am not here to lecture anyone but instead to warn against biased and judgmental opinions like yours based on nonsensical nonfactual information. As far as the references to Penn calling itself the "best" or having the most "famous" whatever is completely untrue. Penn is not for everyone and is not trying to be, instead they are honing their focus on a specific topic to become experts in that sector and attract people who are interested in said topic. 

This leads me to @sirhc

Firstly I believe and agree with you that people can have their own opinion and share it but it is the method and manner used to convey said opinion which determines if its valuable or not. If an opinion is given and inherently lacks a constructive purpose (i.e.:facepalm: My kid brother had 3D printers in junior school in Brooklyn. :D ) then its not worth paying attention to. Indeed, the schools you are being admitted are great programs and each have something valuable to offer, and my intention was not to lecture you or anyone on this thread but instead provide some light into a misconception that has been getting way to much attention about Penn's architecture program. 

With that said, there were a number of factors that propelled me to accept Penn's admission offer. First and foremost, I was interested in the cross-disciplinary opportunities presented at the school. For example, an amazing studio taking place this year includes a collaboration between architecture, landscape, and planning students who are working with the dean Marylin Taylor (former principal at SOM) and the head of the transportation planning committee in NYC + Jersey to design the first trans-city commuter rail line between NYC and Jersey. Needless to say, these designs will be incorporated into the master planning of this project which is an invaluable opportunity.

Secondly, I was interested in the diversity of courses offered by the university. Unlike what Unamuno was trying to portray, Penn offers a variety of studios that you can choose from, ranging from the very parametric to the innovation happening in the building-focused sectors of architecture. One of the most interesting happenings in architecture at the moment exists in the discipline's organic growth into a large network full of nodes that you can specialize in, these nodes range from the more conventional types of architectural construction to the emergence of 3D mapping, prototyping technologies. and how these will affect the future of the urban fabric. What I found useful at Penn is having the opportunity to carve this path on my own and being provided the option to take courses in any of these nodes I previously mentioned, thus allowing me to shape my own architectural education rather than being shaped by a school with a very defined philosophy (keep in mind I don't have a background in architecture). In that sense, Penn is a lot like Yale where they encourage students to hone their personal perspectives rather than learn the schools'. 

Thirdly, the school boast a friendly diverse (and the diversity can be argued but surely is more diverse than other programs) student body that is more concerned with helping one another than working against each other. One of the atmospheres I wanted to avoid in graduate school was that of a place that encouraged competitiveness between the students. Some schools are dominated by an unhealthy atmosphere where students are posed to constantly outdo each other whereas I'm more interested in learning from my peers and perhaps finding a future partner to open a firm with. From the Friday happy hours to the student-coordinated symposiums and competitions organized by Diverse Design and Penn Praxis, I've found the school to be a welcoming community, not only through the student body but with the professors as well. One of the nice things about having young professors is their willingness to interact with the students and share their hunger for the field, something other schools with big name architects can't provide considering these people are rarely available. 

To conclude, Penn also gave me a full scholarship, which in the end closed the deal for me. It is important to understand that Penn doesn't have as many resources as the GSD or the big names of Zaha, Gehry, Adjaye from Yale, but it does have strengths provided in different areas that will be particularly helpful to other students. For example, if you're interested in the relationships between architecture and landscape then Penn, with its dual degrees, would be a great place for you, where many of the dual degrees go on to work for renowned firms such as scofidio, snohetta, steven holl, BIG, and so on. Lastly, take the time to visit the schools you're most interested in and speak with the students, I'm sure there are people who've had completely different experiences and value different aspects than what the school chooses to focus on.

Good luck and enjoy this exciting time!

Mar 6, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@back_forth

I knew you would mention racism. 

There is nothing racist in my comment, and I said clearly that there is nothing wrong with not knowing English (my parents have bad English too), but when UPenn is one of the Ivy school, they have to make sure that the students they let in have good verbal skills, at least are able to build a conversation up. Diversity is the essential for an Architectural school, but we all agree that for commutation in Academic environment we need to speak at academic level! and it could be chines in china, German in Germany, English in England and Arab in Dubai.

You don't have to explain how good is to be in a diverse class next to folks various backgrounds.

My point is that UPenn accepts students not yet capable of being in a divers class based on their language skills, but they bring money so who cares?

As for the 3Dprinter, my point was that there is nothing "special" and "unusual" with having 3Dprinters at studio. Saying (as the guy did) that "come in guys we've got 3D printers in every signal studio"  does not make one a good school at all. The example I brought here up about my kid brother was to show that.

I understand you and your intentions, and I mean no bad to anyone here. I said UPenn is a cool school for undergrad and I guess a good one for grads too, but on the other hand UPenn is not even close to Yale, Columbia, GSD, UCLA or Michigan.

I agree, one should go to a school that is more suitable for him/her and I did so, I visited to Upenn, did not like at all and never applied for it. On top of that I tried to explain why I did not see it a special place.

Good luck with you education, btw When are you guys moving to NYC campus?

Mar 6, 15 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
stvn_ktz

This is horse s**t. I havent heard from ucla nor columbia. Do I still stand a chance? Dammit. 

Mar 6, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

On that note, Penn is sending out some early decisions now. The rest will be posted online March 13.

Mar 6, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
YLMS

I appreciate the debates on UPenn in this thread ... I just got their early acceptance letter and can't wait to find out more for myself.  

Mar 6, 15 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
YLMS

@ Unamuno  I didn't research much on UCLA -- wonder why it is not on the top 10 list but ranked high in your judgment? 

Mar 6, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
CMI15

The di rankings don't mean anything , that's why you don't see UCLA or Princeton in the top ten.  However both of those schools are as selective and hard to get into as Yale and Harvard . If you know anything about the Architecture culture here in the U.S, you would know . Some people who get into Harvard or Yale don't get into Ucla and Princeton. If you go to Ucla's site and look up their faculty , Neil denari , Greg Lynn , thom mayne , Jason Payne , Jimenez  Lai, Sylvia Lavin are all well known and highly regarded . 

I wont say anything about Penn but just by looking at their work recently , it looks like they are still developing and trying to become eclectic by trying to bring influencial visiting professors from the west coast, denari and wiscombe and from elsewhere. 

Mar 6, 15 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

I've always been under the impression Penn had a better reputation (especially with the older guard) than say Michigan, which has only started gaining national recognition in the past few years, but that both fall under the label of a "good program" that can get you a decent education and a job. 

Just got into both. I won't be taking Michigan's offer as unfortunately I am East Coast, and they didn't offer me a large enough scholarship for it to be worth the cost. I do have 2 friends there who are M.Arch 1 who really love it - great resources and faculty, tons of funding and global opportunities. Though they do complain heavily about being in Ann Arbor. 

But I am seriously considering UPenn. I will be going to their open house on March 30th for sure. 

@back_forth I do really appreciate you taking the time to write detailed comments about your school, as TBH I didn't really know much about many of these programs besides what they peddle on the website (which is all basically the same) before applying. I just applied to a lot because I had to see what my options were and to compare scholarship offers. :/ 

Mar 6, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
pinnepie

Did anyone apply to Rice? The results came out really early last year. Idk what happened this year. 

Mar 6, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: