Archinect
anchor

Acceptance/Rejection Decisions 2015

Sorrowful Giuseppe

@citizencities

Because last year I got a letter (with NO) on Thursday.

It varies from year to year...

As I said IMHO.

My first Michigan letter said that I was gonna get notified about my application by March 6th, in fact I got my letter last week. 

P.S. Carnegie Mellon has sent wrong acceptance emails to 800 applicants. :facepalm:

Mar 3, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
citizencities

@bvega

Although PhDs seem to have been released yesterday (some in February), and historically, PhDs are sent either the day Master's decisions are sent out, or 1-2 days after. So we'll see! Might be sooner! 

Mar 3, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
citizencities

@Unamuno

You got a letter as in you found out your decision in the mail? Now I wonder if they time admission packages accordingly (doubtful). Would be a nice change to find out the old-fashioned way. 

Mar 3, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

I received official acceptance letter from Michigan last Friday with scholarship, housing, student info etc in it.

Mar 3, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

@sirhc

did you receive an email as well? or just the package?

Mar 3, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@bvega @unamuno @sirhc

did either of you get advanced placement in the 2 year program at Michigan?

Mar 3, 15 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@bvega

Err.. I meant to say e-mail. Sorry for the confusion. I don't think they do physical mail.

Mar 3, 15 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

@sirhc

has your wolverine status changed to represent your acceptance?

Mar 3, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@bvega

Yes, It has changed. If you go to application status -> View Decision, it says,

Your admission to the University of Michigan, Rackham Graduate School, has been approved.

FYI, Rackham is for MSArch

@chi-arc

I'm MSArch which is equivalent to MArch II

Mar 3, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@sirhc

Wait a second, so after the congrats email (with a video in it)  you got a formal latter?!

Are you MArch 2 or MArch 1?

How long did it take to get an email from informal to the formal letter? 

@chi-arc

I am not sure what you mean by advanced placement in the 2 year program.

I have applied for MArch-2 because I already have BArch.

That's what you meant?

Mar 3, 15 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@sirhc  thanks

@Unamuno yea that's what I meant.  I have a BS Arch so there is a chance that I could be placed in m.arch 1 so just wanted to make sure.  Thanks

Mar 3, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

I'm MArch 2 (they call it MSArch in Michigan). I didn't get the congrats email with a video. My informal was on 2/26, formal on 2/27.

Advanced placement is for MArch I who has architecture background. Doesn't apply to us MArch II with BArch.

Mar 3, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

@sirhc

Thats strange because when I go to the application status, I don't get that option... All I have is view credentials and view application details.

Mar 3, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@chi-arc

Yes, I  applied for MArch-2 and I got following email with a video within:

[#### #######
Congratulations!

You will receive a formal letter of admission (via email) with complete details

of your admission offer shortly]

If your current degree is BSArch, yes you would be put in 3 years program

p.s. that fucking "shortly" drives me crazy!

Mar 3, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@Unamuno

I know people who have gotten into the 2 year program with the same degree as me so hoping to get into the same.  

And yea tell me about that "shortly"!! I am trying really hard not to look at my email every 5 minutes and get some actual work done

Mar 3, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@sirhc

No man, MArch-2 and MSArch are totally different programs.

MArch-2 is a NAAB accredited program.

http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/degrees/master-architecture

http://www.naab.org/r/schools/view.aspx?record_id=20581&origin=results&QS=QS&f1_4597=MI&top_parent=243

I did not apply for MS, because I need an accredited degree, which is in my case is MArch-2 not MS.

This is MS

http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/degrees/master-science-architecture

I am so fucking confused now...

Mar 3, 15 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@chi-arc

I don't think that they can do that. They can't put you in program that you have never applied for.

It is illegal and they can get sued for those kinda actions.    

Mar 3, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@Unamuno

I applied for MArch 2 just like others with BSArch have that I know and hoping to get in, thats all.

And yea you are right about the MArch2 and MSArch being different programs so don't be confused.  I am in the same boat as you (needing an accredited degree), hence why I applied for the MArch, not MSArch

Mar 3, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

Where does it ever say "MArch-2(II)?"

U of Michigan does not have "MArch II", it has,

"Master of Architecture (MArch)" They don't call it "MArch I" since there's no MArch II. No point in giving numbers.

MArch at Michigan is for students with 4 four arch degree or no arch degree. It's typically a 3 year program but you can reduce it to 2 years if you have a "pre"-professional degree (4 yr degree), which chi-arc has and what he's wondering is if he can reduce that 3 yr program into 2.

and they have "Masters of Science in Architecture" which is equivalent to other institution's "MArch II" This is the one for students with professional(BArch) degrees, like you and I.

It's just different way of naming. For example MIT does not have MArch II but they call it SMArchS. Columbia calls it AAD or something like that.

Not all schools name their post-professional degrees "MArch II" and Michigan is one of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 3, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

You are right. The M.Arch II program at other schools is not a NAAB accredited degree. Only the M.Arch 3 year and the 5 year B.Arch are NAAB accredited.

Mar 3, 15 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@sirhc

Thanks for the explanation.

I had never looked at the MSArch degree at Michigan since I knew that I needed an MArch since I don't have an accredited bachelor's degree.  But I just looked it up and you are right.  The Master's of Arch degree is simply called MArch at Michigan (2 years for people who have pre professional in arch, 3 for non arch degrees)

so @Unamuno if you have a BArch you technically don't need a MArch and can apply to the MSArch (meant for people who already have a NAAB accredited architecture degree)

Mar 3, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

I thought I read that you have a 5 year degree, but I can't find that history. If you need an accredited degree, you need MArch I not MArch II (MSArch in Michigan)

Mar 3, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

I have just got the official letter from Michigan for 2 years of March with $20000 scholarship! ya ya ya. I'll response everyone leter.

Mar 3, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

Bro, congrats! but what's your undergrad degree? I hope it's not a 5 year BArch because that means you are doing professional degree twice lol I don't know if anyone actually does this.

Mar 3, 15 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

@unamuno

Congrats!! Just received an official admission letter from Michigan. Got in for 2 years with a $10,000 scholarship!

Mar 3, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Thanks guys!

I hope you will get in your schools as well with a  big chunk of  scholarship.

Ok, let me be clear. because I think I got some people confused.

I have 5 years degree of BArch from European school. Even though I am a US citizen I spent my college times in EU, where my grandparents lived. 

So again I have no BArch degree from NAAB accredited school, but rather its equivalent from Europe that is also BArch.  Therefore I applied for 2 years of MArch in order to be able to get licensed.

In terms of terminology and abbreviations @sirhc is right  because it never says [MArch-2 or MarchII], but again I did apply for 2 years of MArch, not for MSArch.

I do agree that some school have their own system of naming programs, which I consider a bit confusing. 

Sorry guys for getting you confused.

Mar 3, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@Unamuno

Hah I guess I was being narrow minded, didn't even consider the possibility that your BArch was from other continent. How high is Michigan in your list?

Mar 3, 15 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

Into their 3 year program with $15000/year. :/ 

Honestly, I can't help but feel just a little disappointed since I'd been hoping for more. It's still a very expensive school for out of state, and Michigan's residency classification seems very strict - much more so than say California state schools. I guess I'll have to see if anywhere else gives me more. 

Mar 3, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@sirhc

Michigan is my first chose, I visited the school when I was hitchhiking across america and I liked it. They have far more sophisticated  labs and facilities than MIT.

my next schools in the list are;

2) GSD

3) Columbia (I live in NYC and Columbia seems pretty attractive for me)

4) University of Washington.

5) Oregon - I got rejected

Mar 3, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

Funny how certain schools say yes, while others say no. I think graduate school cost is too high when you compare it to the expected salary coming out.

Mar 3, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan

Still almost nothing from MArch 2.

Mar 3, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

I think now we may need a new thread for this thread's original intentions!

Mar 4, 15 12:10 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

I always figured we'd just move to a real "post your results" thread with the same forum topic and format as previous years, once people started actually hearing back from schools. Still seems way premature for that. 

But this one's been good for discussion in the meantime - makes the time go by as we're sitting here waiting!

Mar 4, 15 1:28 am  · 
 · 
tarolling

Why... Though I got the unofficial congrats email from Michigan last friday,  I've never received the official letter till now... Why do they make this kind of time lag?? 

Mar 4, 15 2:20 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

Just got rejected from Cornell - Eh, it was a horrible fit, I would never have wanted to go there, and the only reason I applied was because I felt like I needed more schools in case I didn't get in anywhere. I wish they would give me my $130 back.

Check your emails, folks. 

Mar 4, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

Wait listed at Cornell.  

Mar 4, 15 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

Got waitlisted by Cornell, feeling a bit hopeful. Perhaps I still have a chance

Mar 4, 15 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Today was rejected by Cornell and Austin. Still got into March II at WUSTL. At least there is plan B (and an expensive one..) if MIT and Yale won't like me also:)

Mar 4, 15 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

They are all expensive! Even with scholarships they are expensive!

Mar 4, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

Austin is less expensive, I think. But yes, they all present a good opportunity to get burdened by a huge debt:(

Mar 4, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

At least St. Louis is pretty cheap to live in!

Mar 4, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
conniehuidi

Is it common that your status has been updated on application website but never received an email to let you know? -.- 

It means I have to keep checking school application website! 

Mar 4, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

Just got into Yale (MArch II)! Informed by E-mail to check my statues then it said I'm admitted.

Mar 4, 15 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Me too! (mArch I, no email yet though)

Mar 4, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
CRM114

Yale didn't even bother updating the date on their rejection letter. It still says 27 February 2013.

Mar 4, 15 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
legends19

Waitlisted by Yale(M.Arch 1) through website, anyone know the length of the waitlist?

Mar 4, 15 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
asystemofbeliefs

congrats to all who got in!
waitlisted at yale today, in at cornell on monday.

Mar 4, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
ad2289

Just got into Yale M.Arch II, through website, no email! Can't believe it!!! Soooo exciteddd!

Mar 4, 15 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Pierre Thach

Got into Yale M.Arch I. No e-mail about updated status. Had to check the website.

Mar 5, 15 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Hike Martirosyan

sirhc, Yukikaze, do you check your status in the online application ? 

Mar 5, 15 5:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: