Archinect
anchor

Sun shading systems

Jefferson

I am doing a middle school with a limited budget, but am looking to include a sun shading system on the long south wall (2 stories). The Kawneer 1600 sunshade system clips onto the Kawneer 1600 cutrainwall. This would be optimal, but we cannot afford c-wall in these locations. Are there any systems that y'all know of that clip onto storefront or window systems? What about a system that in supported by metal brackets tied into the adjacent masonry wall (that isn't custom shapes).

Thanks for any ideas/ advice

Dec 27, 04 8:31 pm
yesyes

I have a similar question here. Please let me know if you got any positive response.

Dec 28, 04 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Suture

cheap and better looking system than the prefab kawneer profiles:

metal brackets off your brick wall and design a cool purlin system or frame to hold these lightweight molded fiberglass gratings. that orange or green rectangular grate could be rather nice looking. and because its open you can tell structural that it has zero snow load.

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/fiberglass/molded/

Dec 28, 04 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Organic9

Suture? Why do you think, that because it is an open grate, that snow load, can not still be an issue. I have seen many grating fabrications, that have, held snow, and sometimes ice, for quite a long time. Unless the temp. gets above freezing, or you use some form of heating element, to keep the grating temp warm enough to melt snow, in cold climates it is still going to be a facter.

Dec 28, 04 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

im just trying to size down the metal brackets and make the structural coordination easier and cheaper.

but you are correct depending on your openings, weather...you may have to account for snow load.

Jefferson- where is the project?

Dec 28, 04 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Project is in VA

thanks for the link, I'm gonna check this out.

Dec 28, 04 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: