Archinect
anchor

Accomodation in NY

Cassiel

My girlfriend and I are on a roadtrip through the states at the end of a half-year as exchange students. We are fininshing in NY where we plan to stay a couple of days (5-6) in the beginning of january (flight leaves jan 10th). Budget is running out though and we are looking for an alternative to hotel/motel/hostel.

Would anyone like to accomodate us? We are very nice, have our own sleeping bags, love to talk architecture and wouldn't mind paying a little part of the rent.
If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a place to sleep?

Dec 27, 04 1:16 am
REDFemme

i am not sure where you are from, but in the states, especially NY, i wouldn't reccomend staying at some random persons house. i am sure archinect'rs are the " safest" people out here, but man, you gotta watch yourself.

I would recomend this site for cheap accomodations.

http://www.ny.com/hotels/budget.html

20 - 30 $ a night.

Dec 27, 04 9:44 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

this place is good and cheap:

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/HostelNumber.1850

Dec 27, 04 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
surface
http://newyork.craigslist.org

often has short term sublets.

Dec 27, 04 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Thanks all. $20-30 a night is not quite the actual price, sadly. Craiglist seems very promising.

We are BTW from sweden and have extremely good experiences with the hospitality of random ppl in the US. I have been way more worried the times we have slept in the car, even though I have never stayed with anyone without meeting them in person first, so I guess the warning might be in place.

Dec 27, 04 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Central Park is pretty this time of the year...

Dec 28, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cassiel

What are the rates there? ;)

Dec 28, 04 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

Can anyone recommend somewhat nicer accommodations in the $50-$100 range?

Dec 28, 04 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
on my way

hotels.com
hotwire.com

You can usually find a decent hotel (2-2.5 stars) in Midtown for less than $100/night on those sites...

Dec 30, 04 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
J3

I am headed that way this weekend. Will be staying @ the Hudson.
I've heard mostly good reviews...although the STD room is 10x10.
Any comments? stories? things to watch out for?
thx in advance

Jan 4, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
archidose
SOHOTEL

is a decent place. Cheap. And in a great neighorhood, NOLITA. I've stayed their twice and paid about $80-100 for a room with a wc/lav/shower.

If you want something a little more adventurous, try the Whitehouse on the Bowery. It shares facilities with a flophouse, but is worth the money (less than $50). The walls are partial height, so there's not much privacy. But when strapped for cash it's got what you need: bed, bath, and shower.

Jan 4, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: