Archinect
anchor

scanner recommendations?

I need to buy a scanner ASAP, and there seem to be so many out there with conflicting reviews that I really am not sure what i want.

- i would like to spend under $200
- i need to scan large drawings, but i know that within my budget, that means piecing the parts together
- i need to scan negatives/slides

i've looked at the seethrough HP scanjet 4670, which can do slides and can be easily repositioned over drawings, BUT, it has gotten mixed reviews as far as scan quality goes, and is supposed to have horrible software. any experiences?

also, there are about 93270237 epson perfection scanners out there. any good or bad experiences?

Dec 26, 04 1:29 pm
threshold

Well I have owned Umax, HP and Epson scanners. My favortite is a Umax Vista S8 SCSI (about 10 years old now...) but they no longer make drivers for newer operating systems so it now scans only the dust on it's glass... too bad, it is the fastest scanner I have ever used.

I like the Umax scanning software - it allows you to make many scans without returning back to Photoshop each time. I have owned several other Umax scanners through the years and would buy another but Umax seems to be getting out of the low and mid range scanner market.

The HP software drove me crazy - after each scan you had to return to Photoshop... it took forever to batch scan. The scanner bulb kept failing within warranty too. I would not buy another HP scanner.

The Epson 1670 we now have has been fine and the software allows multiple scans per session. I would buy it again.

Dec 26, 04 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

we have a Hp scanner in the office, i forget the name. i dont know about dave, but ive had it workign really well....and be sure to buy the attachment for scanning multiple pages...its really helpful.
but yes, the quality is not as good as a epson perfection scanner...so i use the epson perfection if i have to scan real colorful artwork etc.

and i dont do it thru photoshop twain, i just use the hp software, since it saves a lot of time when u are scanning many documents and you still need to keep working on the side on photoshop

Dec 26, 04 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

robin rimbaud
www.scannerdot.com
couldn't resist : )

Dec 27, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

well, i got the hp scanjet 4670 - it was on sale, and it made it easy to scan my big drawings. it came with a slide/negative scanner, which is slow, but it seems to work alright. i need it all for a portfolio competition with a mandated 8.5x11 format, so minor scanning problems can be covered up by the fact that nothing will be blown up to ridiculous proportions.

Dec 27, 04 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

I found the best scanner for ass scanning is the HP Scanjet 5300C, The Epson, I concluded, doesn't support my ass weight and the UMAX gave me a deep burning sensation.

Hope this helps

Dec 27, 04 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: