Archinect
anchor

Interior design with timber and white minimalism

ieugenei

My parents might open a new business along madison avenue or around that area. it's probably going to be a boutique salon or some sort not sure. My father knows that I need to gain experience and need some work for my portfolio and suggested the idea of me presenting some ideas for designing the possible interior. of course we don't have a a layout of what the space looks like, but he wants me to at least have a scheme ready, for example the colors and materials I might use and incorporate into the design.

I'm looking to do something minimalistic using dark timber and white (or lighter wood colors possiblity). My mom's is in love with clean and minimalistic interiors.

Anyone have any websites, galleries, or architects famous for the style in mind that could give me some ideas and gear me towards a nice possible color/design scheme?

Dec 25, 04 3:18 pm
ieugenei

oh yea.. from what i hear 40g's is whats going to be spent for the interior setup and equipment needed.. im not sure of how much the equipments going to cost, a lot im guessing. so im thinking 10-15g's is how much I can use. not sure though..

Dec 25, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Sounds like you're in a position that most architects envy -- family or friends with some cash to drop on you. And a spot on Madison avenue, no less! Make your best use of it and be creative... I wouldn't know where to steer you for "inspiration" but I'm sure you can find a lot just by browsing.

Marc

Dec 25, 04 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

it's not that my parents have money it's just money they've kept from selling our old business. I'm not sure if they are to start on at madison though. they have 3 locations in mind. but yea i'm definitely going to give this project much thought.

Dec 25, 04 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

look at john pawson.

Dec 26, 04 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

We just finished an interior that came in at about that price, although there was no equipment we had to factor in.
Keep in mind that money is really low (depending on the sq ft).
Do you know how it'll be lit? That was the area we saved the most, by ordering directly via the web (saved probably about 60-70% off what the lighting rep could give us). It was also a pain.

Look at Meier and Schindler. Schindler did some amazing things with relatively inexpensive means. I'll be buying myself another book today, just to get a few more images. If you get to LA, visit his homes if you can, there are tours.
Carlos Scarpa did some nice things, too. Pugh + Scarpa are another personal favorite.
Holl has some great interiors, too.

Dec 26, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i'll second john pawson. check out his books.

Dec 26, 04 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

since you sound like an annoyingly incompetent TF baby (what kind of architect trolls on an internet discussion forum for ALL the answers to a new project), maybe you could hire a few impressionable interns and have them do all your work while you get all the glory.

and my daddy and mommy can beat up your daddy and mommy

Dec 26, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
plainjane

suture - wow, you're really mean

Dec 26, 04 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

and since SUTURE IS A DUMBBASS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
I'm only a sophmore undergraduate. I have no education in architecture besides the pre-architecture track that I am pursuing. Is it wrong to get advice from those who profess in a field that I want to learn about? Trust-fund. definitely not. sleeping on the living room floor in 2 room in bedford park, bronx isn't so luxurious.

suture, I guess you're the prime example of the bad architects. you're exactly the type people warned me of on this site and elsewhere. ignorant, cocky, with no alibi. always thinking you know everything yet on my side of the line, i'm just laughing at you cause you can't read a simple thread correctly.

anyway, so basically, you fucking retard, i'm doing this to further my experience and to flex some of ideas that have been dropped upon me online, books, and elsewhere. go stick a T in your ass crack and snort sugar packets thru a coffee stir rock-headed fuck. lol.

Dec 26, 04 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wow, way to tell him!

Dec 26, 04 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

im just telling him how it is. how immature for someone who seems to be accomplished to assume things out his ass.

Dec 26, 04 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, what a dick, huh?

Dec 27, 04 12:45 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yeah, don't be afraid to ask questions. I got some great advice for that project that I mentioned from these boards and hope I can give a little back now and then.

Dec 27, 04 7:46 am  · 
 · 
Suture

What level of schooling you are at is irrelevant but you should have known better than to tell us about your momy and daddy in your question. i love your mommy and daddy too but you are a college man now so you dont have to drop them in every story. Irrelevant context they are.

how much different would this lightly edited question below have read?

Im working on a small boutique project on the side and looking to do something minimalistic that also uses dark timber. Anyone have any websites, galleries, or precedents in mind?

to that question, instead of being bogged down by mommy and daddy, i would have happily sugested to you looking at the work of Schindler or Macintosh

Dec 28, 04 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Brim

Chill out suture...you "are" being a dick. So what if he mentioned it's a project his parents are funding. Get over yourself.

Dec 28, 04 10:14 am  · 
 · 
ieugenei

i meant "father and mother"... sorry suture, pleased now sir? would you like that on a silver dish?... let's all hail thee and serve suture since archinect revolves around his big head.

suture well... saying this:

"Im working on a small boutique project on the side and looking to do something minimalistic that also uses dark timber. Anyone have any websites, galleries, or precedents in mind?"

would have been perfect for the attack with the crap you said earlier in this thread. tf baby and whatever the hell nonsense.

the reason why i said the things i said was to show the fact that i'm not professed in the field. why don't you accept that and say something more constructive from the start. if you as an architect want to draw respect to your field then show some respect to others, especially those interested in it.

Dec 28, 04 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: