Archinect
anchor

PHOTOSHOP QUESTION

yoiyoi

i have a number of discrete selections in photoshop short of using the shift key and individually filling each up with color is there any other way of filing them all at once with one use of the paint bucket command

thanks for suggestions

Dec 23, 04 11:25 pm
o+

ctrl+backspace fills selection with background color
alt+backspace fills selection with foreground color

Dec 23, 04 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04

Make the selections, then create a new layer and make it the current layer, the selections will remain active, and clicking with the paint bucket in any of the selections with the paint bucket should fill them all in one shot, plus they'll be on their own layer if you ever want to get rid of them without screwing up the original image.

Dec 24, 04 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

thanks for your suggestiions

for some reason none of which seems to work

basically what i have is the outline of a building in yellow which i would like to change to black. so i select all the lines with one stroke of the magic wand
now i'd like to change it all at once with a single command , but when i use the paint bucket with the foreground set to black it only fills a segment at a time.

i'm basically looking for an equivalent of 'fill all selections'. any such command?

thanks

Dec 24, 04 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

are you adding selections together with the magic wand so that all selections are highlighted?
then I think you can right click and hit Fill. Make sure you have the foreground color as black, or it may even give you the choice of black in the Fill options.
should be a fairly easy task, no?

Dec 24, 04 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

maybe you first select all you want to change, make a new layer then turn of all other layers, then paint.
if the original layer is still visible it will paint it piece by piece, even if you do it in on separate layer.

Dec 24, 04 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
isnen

go to pull down menu "Edit", then select "Fill" from the list
this always has worked for me!

Dec 24, 04 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

If everything above doesn't work...It should though...you can put your selection on a new layer, fill, then merge the two layers.

Dec 25, 04 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

DOUBLE CLICK THE LAYER ICON. GO TO COLOR OVERLAY ON THE LEFT. PLAY WITH COLORS TILL IT IS WHAT YOU WANT.

Dec 26, 04 10:54 am  · 
 · 
worm

or if you want to fill the whole selection while selected and the paint bucket is not working -

make your selection (use wand tool if you want all yellow - uncheck contiguous) then grab a brush tool and set the size very large and brush it a few times - that should paint it for you

Dec 26, 04 11:19 am  · 
 · 

use a layer mask!

make a new layer that is entirely the color you want
put it on top and make a layer mask
add and subtract portions of the layer mask as necessary
if you're satisfied, flatten it

if you're not familiar with layer masks, get a book like studio methods for photoshop - most people who don't know how to use them think they are a pain or too complicated to learn, but photoshop becomes about 100x more powerful when you understand them

Dec 26, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

the simplest thing to do has already been mentioned...simply select what you want, create a new layer, select fill, and fill...but make sure that you are on the new layer...otherwise it will fill the boundary of the layer that you are on...that may have been the problem previously...i always forget to change the layer i am on...if this doesn't work than there is something wrong with your photoshop and i suggest reinstalling...ciao

Dec 26, 04 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: