Archinect
anchor

RIBA President's Medals

woodface

I was just at the RIBA library yesterday and they have a display showing some of the winning work. It was interesting to see that, despite being open to schools worldwide, only UK based students won anything - and most of those winners were London based.

2 students from my University (Westminster) won the iGuzzini prizes, though I don't know on what basis their work was judged. iGuzzini is some Italian lighting company, so you would think it had some kind of lighting connection, but as far as I can tell it doesn't. As far as I can see the only thing the two have common are beautiful drawings.

Does anyone outside of the UK care about these prizes? There are definitely entries from other places - the first page of the undergraduate list has several.

http://www.presidentsmedals.com/

Dec 23, 04 12:59 pm

I care, woodface.

Dec 23, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

The President Medals are of course important. The RIBA is in my opinion doing a good effort in involving in a more meaningful way schools out of the UK. Last year they didnt have an exhibition instead they published a very thick book that included all of the projects submitted. I hope they have done the same this year.
I think that if you see the jury, its is almost completely made up of London Schools alumni or tutors past and present, so I would recommend getting the opinion of architects from other continents heard.

Anyway it is quite amazing being in the awards presentation and seeing a student from Australia (i saw this last year) coming all the way to england to get his well deserved prize.

Dec 23, 04 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure it really is open to schools world-wide... how does this work? The website says something about the prize being open to "RIBA-recognized schools". I assume this means schools in the UK and in former colonies.

Dec 23, 04 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

Yeah kind off,
But there are other schools that arrange with the RIBA to get the recognition. I think that it could be an expensive process, RIBA has to visit the school and go through whatever processes they have in place to recognise it.
So for example you have schools in :
Argentina- University of Mendoza
Chile-there are 5 there including the blog featured Pontificia Universidad Catolica
China - 2
Colombia - a whooping 5 universities
Switzerland, Romania, Russia toward this side of the planet
and there is even one in USA - University of Maryland

Dec 23, 04 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: