Archinect
anchor

Architecture Majors differences and career options?

Let me introduce who I am first. I'm in my last year of High school, graduate around April or May 2015. I'm very interested in taking architecture for my Bachelor degree. Honestly, I want to master everything in architecture field. From design, landscape, interior, to the engineering technique (but specializing in design)

Here's a few question;

1.) What are the differences between pure architecture, architectural technology, architectural engineering, and architectural science. Do they lead to different career options?

As far as I know, pure architecture is pure design (more studying design than engineering). While architectural engineering is more in the engineering part than the design. But there is also architectural science, which according to WKU; "Architectural Science is a bridge between design theory and construction practice. Architectural Technologists perform a variety of important functions in many areas of the architectural and building construction fields, and are widely recognized by professionals in the construction industry." Also, what is architectural technology exactly? Why is it called 'architectural technologists' when they're graduates from architectural science? Are the differences matter for career options?

2.) I want to take Interior design as my Master degree. Considering from a lot of googling, people said interior design will help architect as a 'whole'. Well, it's also because I want to study interior... I mean, I agree with the opinion. But at the same time, if I only take a Bachelor architecture, won't it affect my accreditation? Because, of course I want to take a professional degree in the architecture field.

3.) As the gooling went, I found that professional degree in architecture differs in qualifications in different countries. If I get accredited in Australia, will it be recognized in UK? (Note; I want to study architecture in UK (Bath University), but I don't have enough money to pulled it off, so I thought 'why not Australia?', but then it concerns me whether my degree will be recognized)

4.) What's the best country to study architecture? I prefer UK, but then I didn't have enough money, so I considered Australia, since I heard architecture in US is  'lack of innovative' or some kind. Is it true though? Cause my parents highly recommend US...

5.) If I could go to the UK, I'd pick Bath University (no doubt, no second thought)

If Australia, RMIT and Deakin are my options (RMIT's ranked quite high but it seems that Deakin is catching up?)

If US, WKU and Virginia Tech are my considerations. (WKU has the architectural science major, and according to my parents; architectural science is more benefiting in the future. But in the other hand, Virginia Tech is the one that people talk about)

Help me please? What do you think my options are?

Feb 6, 15 11:19 pm
natematt

My totally biased two cents…

1) It is just architecture, no “pure” necessary.  The primary competency of architects is design, particularly that of buildings. This involves a great many things, including theory and building systems. If you want to be an architect and design buildings, this is the path to take.

Architectural Engineering is an engineering degree. It seems to be a little broader then structural, mechanical, or electrical engineering and it emphasizes buildings as the thing to be engineered. It touches on design to a similar degree that architecture touches on structural engineering. If you want to be an engineer who works on buildings, you could do this. Or you could get other applicable engineering degrees.

The other two are fuzzy in my eyes. I’ve only ever seen people do “technology” or “science” as post-professional degrees, like PhDs or Master of Science degrees specializing in technology. Most of these are done in supplement to architecture degrees or engineering degrees, and these people go into research related positions. As an undergrad degree this is pretty much an architecture degree without the design. If you wanted to work in non-design aspects of architecture this might be an option, however you’ll be competing with people who have architecture degrees, which is to say similar knowledge plus lots of design skills, which is usually viewed positively within architectural firms. You can’t get licensed as an architect from this, and you won’t be qualified to be an engineer.  You’ll probably end up somewhere like Aecom, or a consulting firm, or doing site specific drawings for equipment vendors, or doing less popular jobs like spec writing.  

2) I think a lot of people on this forum would try to dissuade you from going into architecture altogether. But my suggestion to accomplish what you seem to be interested in would be to do an undergraduate degree in Interior design, and then a professional Master’s degree in Architecture. This will allow you to become licensed as an architect, and also give you a background in interiors. In my experience it’s not that common to get masters in Interior design, because it’s not really necessary or even pushed for by the profession.   On the other hand Master degrees in architecture are becoming more of the standard. However, you can do a five year bachelor degree at an accredited school and still have a professional degree allowing you to get licensed. Then you could do a masters of ID if you wanted.

3) I don’t know for sure, but they likely have some degree of compatibility. Ideally you get a degree in the country you want to practice, unless they have bad education systems.  

4) I don’t think the schools in the US are the problem, in fact I would argue many of them are among the best .I think the profession here is more stagnated than many of the European countries, but that has a lot to do with how the system works, and the status of design within culture here. That said, there are a bunch of good schools in Europe. Personally, I would do something in the US, the UK, or one of the Scandinavian schools.

5) no opinion

Feb 7, 15 4:43 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Chiming in:

If you're interested in architecture, either go all the way in or don't. Architectural sciences are a waste of time. You'll have issues getting licensed, and most programs in architectural sciences are basically poor excuses for their respective department's inability to acquire NAAB accreditation.

Interior Design is something you can do without a Master's; Just make sure your studio work focuses on that aspect of architecture.

Finally, if grad school something you're definitely planning on doing, and if your end goal is to start your own practice, I highly suggest you avoid studying anything architecture as your undergraduate major. Architects are one of the most insular professions out there. Everyone out there wants to know an architect, but architects are all too busy only socializing with each other. Undergraduate school, particularly at a good school, is one of the best networking opportunities you'll ever have. Just something to keep in mind.

Feb 7, 15 7:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: