Archinect
anchor

The Answer Book (2005)

Maestro

Just what is the Answer Book for architects (and students) today?

Dec 18, 04 2:37 pm
gustav

There never was one.

Dec 18, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

kill yourself now

Dec 18, 04 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

I'll only come back.

What's the question?

Dec 18, 04 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
A

The bartenders handbook

Dec 18, 04 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

whatever Per says it is...and,

The Bible KJV all of my building footprints can be found there.

Dec 19, 04 1:48 am  · 
 · 
slaprabbit

so their was never one ? dang, i was hopping their was, but remmembering the basics is a must know

Dec 19, 04 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Maestro

FORM SPACE AND ORDER, FRANK CHING

DISCUSS.......

Dec 19, 04 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have never so much as cracked that book open. am i missing out? seems it was a textbook in the interior design cirriculm and so then i decided it probably wasn't any good.

Dec 19, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Great. It either reminds you of the things you once knew or makes you look more closely at things you took for granted. A lot of it is the stuff that you may have absorbed in school without knowing/realizing it, the stuff that we all think should be obvious to our clients and the general public because we don't remember having to learn it. Lots of basic stuff - with a little not-so-basic stuff that Ching snuck in for good measure.

Dec 19, 04 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

FORM , SPACE AND ORDER...............
to fo what , learn how to make outdated architecture ...???

Dec 19, 04 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Maestro

Some other candidates.............

Vitruvius
Quattro Libri
De Re Archittetura
Towards a New Architecture
Richard Meier Architect
The Education of An Architect

Dec 19, 04 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

To revisit the primary elements of what we do: point, line, plane, volume

To revisit the basic additive nature of these elements and how they can be set in dialogue with each other to make something new

To see examples from throughout architectural history set next to each other for comparison in looking at universal architectural concepts such as axiality, approach, path, symmetry, hierarchy, datum, repetition, proportion, etc.

gringodms50 is right that the examples all predate the '80s, at least in the edition I have. If this is crippling to your ability to relate those things listed above to what is possible now, yeah, you probably shouldn't use it. If you think those concepts are still useful and you use those words in talking about what you do, it's a good reference and refresher.

Dec 19, 04 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry. Mine was a response to gringoms50.

Dec 19, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

'architecture for dummies'...

or, 'architectural digest' seems to have all of the answers, no? hehehehehe.

Dec 20, 04 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: