Archinect
anchor

Where to find the landscape architecture boom?

acsookying

Any suggestion to where a fresh undergrad landscape architecture graduate might be able to go (easy to find a job) upon graduation? I'm pretty much looking to get out of the US and open to going ANYWHERE in the world.

Just looking for places where they are open to hiring an American right out of school.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 15 1:27 am
Larchinect

Boom? 

When you find the boom, please let me know. 

Rather than a 'boom' I'd say our profession is slowly burgeoning. I feel lucky to have been a part of the profession over the last ten years.

as far as job prospects, many will probably direct you to the usual locales--New York, SoCal, maybe Denver, Shanghai, London?? Ii might challenge the notion that you have to live and work in the big, happening cities. Instead, you might think about places where people are flocking, where the market for design is still unsaturated, and there is space for growth.

i started my career in a medium-small city, moved to a larger metro area, then most recently started our business in a small, sub-urban area where we have all the things we love to do outside work at our finger tips, yet there is a plentiful supply of opportunity due in part to the higher than average number of high net worth residents. 

Our plan is to use this place as a jumping off point..my point, sometimes the hottest market isn't the best place to grow.

Jan 8, 15 12:42 am  · 
 · 
acsookying

Any idea on how difficult it may be for a foreigner to go to a smaller city abroad? I imagine starting out more in a boutique firm vs. corporate?

Jan 10, 15 12:35 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

Landscape Architects are in high demand (paid pretty well) here in Dubai (yes I know we're in a f**king desert), but most clients request detailed landscape designs as a part of Architectural proposals, from small custom houses to large scale commercial.

For Example:

https://hok-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=637&company_id=16737&version=1&jobBoardId=3338

Getting an offer here as a fresh-grad might be tough but it's worth a try.  I suggest looking at the  big firms here RTKL, HOK, Callison, Atkins, AECOM, etc. in addition to smaller more local firms and see if you can find something.  Starting salary range for fresh landscape architects is about 13-15k AED/Month( $42-49k/year).

Jan 12, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
acsookying

Thank you! I could see that there may be a lot of opportunity for development there. I will definitely give those a try!

Jan 19, 15 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: