Archinect
anchor

But before I go...

iwish

I have heard several people talking about this lately. Is there any advantage to getting liscensed before going to grad school?

Dec 17, 04 11:50 am
graspin

huh? you can do this? oh, maybe if you had a professional undergrad degree, but then what would be the point? you'd have your licence and be out 'practicing'. why would you re-invest cash and time into more schooling...you'd want your practice to grow, or, you'd want better real life experience.

Dec 17, 04 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

if you didn't have a practice i think it may be worth it depending on what you are trying to get out of it. but if i ever get to go to grad school again, i want to be able to concentrate while i am there and get the most out of it i can possibly get.

has anyone on here ever done this?

Dec 17, 04 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
iwish

I have a 5-year degree. The reason I want to go to Grad school is to have an opportunity to spend time investigating a design problem, namely adaptive reuse. But I am not one to stand on theory. I have a strong motivation to relate ideas to reality. My thought is that with an expanded knowledge base about building, further academic study could be more directed at a real end product. Or perhaps it could be a hindrance, I'm not sure yet.

Dec 17, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i guess you would have more time in school to focus on a certain aspects depending on the program you choose, same thing for using your skills to direct toward a real end product. you just have to pick the right school.

i want to go back so i can teach in the future, and for some further exploration of concepts and ideas i have.

Dec 17, 04 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i've got a 5 year degree. i will start taking the ARE this summer. After i'm done, i plan on applying to grad school (hopefully for the fall of 2006).

Dec 17, 04 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
iwish

ether,
I am on a similar schedule, and I know this may draw a lengthy answer, but what do you hope to accomplish by going back to school? That is the question I have been asking myself a lot lately.

Dec 17, 04 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
ewos

After graduating with a B Arch, I worked for about 8 years and got licensed along the way; at that point I made the decision to go back to grad school. Fo me, I knew at my fifth year of UG that I wanted more time to study particular concepts my thesis was involved with, but my motivations changed due to what I was learning in the profession, how my interests in design and architecture were developing, eventual teaching appointments, and also after assessing myself and my abilities. It was by no means a financial decision, but rather a personal one- similar to those I met in grad school with the same experience.

My M Arch II program was extremely flexible (only requirements for graduation was a thesis, and two seminars- one of which was an open choice from a single department), which enabled my to define what I wanted to focus my time and energy on; it also was only 3 semesters so my time there was short.

In the end, I didn't cover everything that I thought I wanted to go back to school for- but I left learning (in general) about what I really enjoyed about the profession and what my strengths were, how to make them happen, and expansion of my design sensibilities. I've been back to work for about 4 years now, and I find that my design work and espeically HOW to make it happen is much further along than others with similar years of experience (w/o grad school).

Advantages I found in grad school:
- you know for the most part how building go together, thus enters a degree of reality into the work. While this could be limiting to some, I found it liberating because I could concentrate more intensely on material and formal expressions.
- you end up relating to instructors on a different level; you (should) know the basics of programing and concept development, so the emphasis becomes on development, process, materiality, and other studies.
- after graduation, you end up competing for work on a different track thus avoiding the usual influx of recent grads into the market place.
- depending on the quality of firms you've worked with prior, grad school gets you up to work at better firms because a) you can tap into the school's alumni/ work networks, and 2) you have experience. Of course, this is not a gimmie as you still have to work hard to tailor your portfolio, skills, etc.
- you have more money to pay back the loans if you take them out since you will likely in a different income bracket. Yes, you incurred debt but you can pay it off quicker should you choose to do so.

Dec 17, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

I came out of undergrad in '91 and went straight to work. After several years of practice and lots of built projects I went back to school for a few reasons:

1. I have always intended to mix practice and teaching, keeping my professional work vital through teaching exposure and keeping my teaching work grounded through continued practice. A graduate degree is the minimum threshold to teaching these days.

2. After over a decade of working I had begun to realize that I had some recurring preoccupations and that I wanted some focused time to look at them more comprehensively.

3. Those preoccupations included urban design issues - an area in which I never felt that I had gotten a solid foundation. I was able to craft my graduate studies so that I could concentrate on urban design.

4. There is so much to learn about sustainable construction and development that I knew I would never even get a foot in the door as long as I was pounding out memos and reviewing pay requests. I was able to spend some time learning techniques, materials, and different thinking about what is useful when approaching 'sustainability'. (Also what a difficult word it is to define and defend.)

5. I'm a sucker for architecture theory courses and I needed a fix. It reinvigorated me just to be in the environment of pure ideas again.

Dec 17, 04 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i just want some time and a constructive environment to do my own thing for a couple of years. accomplishments would be retrospective on whether or not i was successful. i started some stuff during my undergrad thesis that i would like to explore further. i'm currently trying to get married, start a family, practice architecture, enjoy life and play as much halo as i can. i don't really feel ready for grad school and i'm 29 - hell almost 30. i thought that 3 years after i finished undergrad i would be ready to go back. i'm going on 4 years and am still trying to figure things out. this waiting probably has more to do with how i process my life and the future. i will go to grad school, i just don't know when. if i have 3 kids, a mortgage and am 45 and decide it's time, i'll figure out a way to make it happen. but in the meantime i’ll get registered and play.

Dec 17, 04 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: