Archinect
anchor

Mies' Lakeshore Apartments

wangsta

Does anybody live/d in Mies' Lakeshore Apartments in Chicago? What's the current rental rate?

Dec 17, 04 11:13 am
ArchAngel

1700 for a 1-bedroom

Dec 17, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

stanely tigerman lives there, you could be his neighbor!

Dec 17, 04 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

I stayed in one for a night. It was fascinating how you don't even need an alarm clock in the building. Not because of the sun, but as the black steel heats up in the morning, you hear all of these expansion anchors(?) or springs start to pop. It was a fascinating experience.

she said it happens every morning and I showed my true architect colors by hanging out by the window observing the expansion of steel..

I almost bought a condo in the ones on the south side.. I thought i was in heaven and found a cute little one bedroom for 160k. I was about to do it until I discovered condo fees were almost $800 a month to maintain the building..

Dec 17, 04 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
archidose

It seems like just about every partner at the firm I work at own an apartment in those towers, either 860/880 by Mies or the knock-offs one block north. Maybe only architects can appreciate, or even live in, a Mies building...

Dec 17, 04 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

curtclay - maybe Mies KNEW that the expansion of the steel would make those noises; it was his poetic-modernist translation of the squeaky wood floors he grew up with?

Dec 17, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

archidose - what do you mean knock-offs? Those are all (4) Mies' Buildings......

Dec 18, 04 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
gomer

thanks,

curt-

the squeaky expansion joints is interesting

-does anybody know what the amenities are like?

Dec 18, 04 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
TED

you might also think about the mies projects at diversity and sheridan at the park. less money. the corners are all studios while 800 n lsd is 4 units per floor [orignally 3 beds now mostly converted to 2 beds] and i think 860 is 6 units units. i am not sure they allow rentals in 800-860 as it is a coop- the assessments in the coop buildings per unit exceed my mortgage payment so you might look elsewhere.

the mies project at fullerton and the park has great units [and also famous folks like helmut and his magical leather glooves]

Dec 18, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

archidose, those buildings a block north aren't knock offs, they were done by mies a few years later.

you can live in a mies tower in detroit w/ a glass wall overlooking downtown and the river for less than 400 a month!

Dec 18, 04 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Saw a documentary about Mies recently, he said he didn't want to live there himself...because he didn't want to meet people in the elevator complaining to him about lightswitches on the wrong place...lol

Dec 18, 04 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Dec 18, 04 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

thats where he wanted to be..

Dec 18, 04 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
archidose

My mistake.

Dec 19, 04 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

and now for something completely different...
mies too?

Dec 20, 04 10:06 am  · 
 · 
ArchAngel
Another Article

Dec 20, 04 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Interesting and entertaining, but useless speculation. The man left before the worst of the Reich. If he stayed too long, it was probably inertia.

The examples of his early classicism and the attempt to associate them with Speer are also provocative but groundless. Before the shift to a more abstract modernism Corb, Gropius, Mies and many others all worked in a classical idiom. They worked in Behrens office and he, too, evolved from a Schinkel-esque classicism into a more modern mode. Tessenow, someone admired by all three, was a mentor, too. Speer was the only one associated with extreme political power who pumped steroids into the classical model.

Writers get mileage out of tearing down the heroes, but it's closer to Entertainment Tonight material than real architectural critique. Note that Pearman draws you in with the provocation but lets it fall away halfway through the article and just starts talking about the work and the man.

Dec 20, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 
blah

Which one are you speaking of?

There are eight in total.

You can find a reasonably priced place in many of them.

Or you can buy one and gut it. That's more fun!

Good luck!

William

Dec 25, 04 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: