Archinect
anchor

building a shed...

spaghetti

I have a nice little project: im building a pool shed out of mostly traditional materials--wood studs, etc. Trying to push the limits a little bit, though.
I was wondering if anybody knows of any similar small scale projects that you have come across that are interesting/inspiring? --(as far as building methods/techniques more so than actual design, although they usually go hand in hand)

thanks

Dec 17, 04 1:09 am
spaghetti

oh yeah, and I will be building it myself with the limited tools i have...so thats why I am looking more at the construction aspect rather than a outlandish or technically-improbable design

Dec 17, 04 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Kai

Dec 17, 04 1:59 am  · 
 · 
Kai

Dec 17, 04 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Kai

BUILDING Circular Brick Garden Shed and Workshop, Oslo, Norway
ARCHITECT Carl-Viggo Holmebakk

Points of Interest
A wooden framework is suspended inside a brick cylinder with the two laminated timber beams supporting the interior framework aswell as serving as primary beams for the transparent fibreglass roof.
Note the detailing of the timber components in this project, in particular those of the main door and the junctions between the timber components of the internally suspended framework.
All wood is Norwegian Pine treated with a mixture of tar, linseed oil and turpentine.
Reference journal: Architecture and Urbanism  A+U 97:12

http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/Architecture/webdes/hanlon_web/circular2.JPG

http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/Architecture/webdes/hanlon_web/circdet.jpg

Dec 17, 04 2:00 am  · 
 · 
a-f
XS: Big Ideas, Small Buildings

is a cute little guide to very small projects, some realized, some not.

Dec 17, 04 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Try look in the Fotos folders of this group :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pavilions/

Dec 17, 04 6:58 am  · 
 · 
joek

oh f/// off with that shite already.

Dec 17, 04 7:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

haaaaaahaaaaaa

Dec 17, 04 7:37 am  · 
 · 

wow... talk about a shameless plug... too damn funny...

Dec 17, 04 9:01 am  · 
 · 
spaghetti

thanx per.. Hahaha. and someone keeps trying to resurrect "hi all you fancy graphics lovers"... it keeps creeping back up

Dec 17, 04 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
pia555

Try
"Ideas for Great Backyard Cottages"
Sunset Publishing

Dec 17, 04 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Read Witold Rybcznski's "The Most Beautiful House in the World", a paean to his shed/work space.

Then there's "A Place of My Own : The Education of an Amateur Builder" by Michael Pollan, in which he builds a little 'writing room' in the woods.

After these guys, you'll feel a whole lot better when this small project takes a whole lot longer than you intended.

Finally (and more seriously) there was a hot little building with a Cor-Ten arc set in front of it by Scott Williams/SAWA Rchitects. If you run a Google search you'll come up with a little blurb in ArchRecord2, but it's been published somewhere else where you can see more of the building behind the steel.

Dec 17, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

try coming up with your own ideas

Dec 17, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

hehe archit, you are a true modernist. I steal ideas and make them my own... im a re-mix artist.. lol

jk

building TECHNIQUES, more than design... i already have an idea... but still developing

Dec 17, 04 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

ill post pictures when im done~

Dec 17, 04 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
joek

sorry for my previously abusive post - well actually I am not all that sorry Per.

Serious, hopefully more helpful answer, you could try looking in a book called ECO by elizabeth wilhide. I really like it, it has a lot of buildings made from some fairly 'basic' materials that are really simple and really beautiful.

I have found it inspirational and maybe you will with the design and build of your shed.

Dec 19, 04 3:31 am  · 
 · 
joek

let us know how it goes.

Dec 19, 04 3:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: