Archinect
anchor

When to move?

graspin

When is the appropriate time for an intern to 'move along'?

Currently, I've been interning at a place for 2.5 years (but 5 years with the firm) and am finding that I get treated like 'the grad'. The pay is great...and I'm integral in most processes/stages of 'the building', but I'm finding that things are blah.

Any older ARCHINECT surfers have some real advice?

Dec 16, 04 7:40 am
700c

You move when you no longer feel like you're learning or contributing. That could be 6 months or 6 years. The company doesn't own you...drop any guilt about leaving. Do what makes you happy.

Dec 16, 04 8:48 am  · 
 · 
graspin

word! good advice!

Dec 16, 04 8:51 am  · 
 · 
A

Guess I don't really have that "elder" experience but I'd say move to someplace completely terrible, ahh, say Winnipeg. Then you'll have a new focus on how terrible life could really be.

Dec 16, 04 9:00 am  · 
 · 
graspin

mov eto the peg? i would...if the jets were still there...oh, and if the NHL could get their shit in order. lol.
yes, my toronto job isn't that bad, i guess...it was just a question.

Dec 16, 04 9:04 am  · 
 · 
drgonzo

I agree with 700c on all fronts. They don't own you, and if you're not getting anything out of it anymore (i.e. "growing"), then you're doing yourself a vicious disservice with each passing minute. You don't have to move; you can work within the firm to improve your situation. But if they aren't receptive, just move along.

Go, see, do.

Dec 16, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

move when every day it gets more and more
difficult to get up and go to work....allow for maybe two months
of this...then get the hell out...when you find yourself talking more
about how much you hate your job than about the architecture or
what you love...you should move on...

on the other hand...you should realize that you may be taking a
step back at this point if you do move...you only have a couple
years of experience and your current company is interested in
investing in you...moving involves the potential risk of lower pay
and less involvement in projects..but potentially better projects..

Dec 16, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i moved after 10 months because i had a better opportunity. i think, as an intern that it is important to get a broad experience.

Dec 16, 04 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

I agree with steph and 700cc, move when you are no longer learning or feel that you aren't making any real contribution. I left a job after 6 mo because I felt like I wasn't getting the experience I desired and a better opportunity came my way.

Dec 16, 04 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

at least your boss didn't ask you to wash his car after work...
i walked away from a job in germany for that.

and hey, eisenman asked danny libeskind to wash his floor.

sounds like you already want to move, so start hitting the pavement.

Dec 17, 04 2:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: