Archinect
anchor

Pour-Stone model help

netizen

Any physical model experts ...

I'm making a model using Pour-Stone for the first time. My mold is made of chipboard. Can anyone help with advice on technique? Should I apply some sort of lubricant to the insides of the mold?

Thanks

Dec 15, 04 8:38 pm
R.A. Rudolph

yes, otherwise it will stick. the paper will peel. it has been so long since i've had a chance to do it but i believe i ended up switching to foam core because it peels off easier. try some kind of spray silicone...

Dec 16, 04 1:25 am  · 
 · 
plusminus

you could wax the chipboard on the inside, and then it will not stick.
or a more sloppy solution is putting plastic inside.. forget that.. it will be really sloppy.. stick to the wax.

Dec 16, 04 1:31 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

i'd recommend the foamcore as well. if you want it to be really smooth and shiny nice, i'd line the formwork with mylar.

Dec 16, 04 1:33 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

dont use chipboard--use wood

the natural grain looks cool or you could wax it

Dec 16, 04 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

you could use PAM also but i think it would degrade the chipboard, ha ha ha

Dec 16, 04 1:38 am  · 
 · 
netizen

Unfortunately its too late to use anything but chipboard...ive already built the mold and its very complex. I hope the wax works---what kind of wax? I mean does it come in a lotion-like consistensy?

Dec 16, 04 2:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

melt the wax, pour into mold, spread quickly.

Dec 16, 04 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

murphy's oil soap also works well, just apply it with a paintbrush.

Dec 16, 04 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
st.

she don't use jelly.
she uses....

Dec 16, 04 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

...vaseline!

Dec 16, 04 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Wax would be a mess, I have used lotion before or I suppose Vaseline would also work. Oil would just soak itself into the chipboard causing your form work to warp and collapse.

Dec 16, 04 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
netizen

Thanks everyone

Ive called around and I think the best solution is a sealant + release agent, probably wax or vaseline

Dec 16, 04 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: