Archinect
anchor

Working Internationally?

mwpetri

Hi All,

I am not in the profession yet, however I have been accepted to a M.Arch I program starting fall of 2015, so perhaps I will be able to gain more perspective into this once I am enrolled.

My question is how difficult is it for an American to find a position outside of the US (I know it probably varies from country to country) or with a firm that does international work?  Are there positions within firms that allow for, or require, large amounts of foreign travel? Or have foreign offices where Americans can get jobs?

I'm asking this because I love travelling and living abroad, and if positions such as these exist I would like to know what I can do to make myself marketable for them. So which countries might be hiring, or have branches from US firms there? Any specializations or particular qualifications beyond knowing a foreign language that might help? 

Thanks!

Dec 12, 14 3:47 pm
wurdan freo

Entry level draftsmen in central and south america make about $500 a month.  Can you pay your student loans back with that?

I would study engineering related to the oil n gas industry if you want to make money and travel.  Architecture, especially with no experience, will be very difficult. If there is an exchange program during your MARch, that may be your best opportunity to establish a network somewhere. 

Dec 12, 14 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Given the global financial crisis, it can be very difficult to move country without a visa, and visas are hard to come by at the moment.  On the upside, construction is again booming in some locations.  You could of course look in to large international practices (Arup, AECOM, Buro Hapold, etc) and try to get a job locally with the intention of looking for an international transfer in the future.  You could also look into the options offered through BUNAC ( http://www.bunac.org/ ) which aren't as good as they used to be but can still help you get out of country for a bit.  It can also help to get close to faculty who are from other countries, who may be able to connect you up with a placement.  It's not easy, but it's not impossible!  Good luck.

Dec 23, 14 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: