Archinect
anchor

Any Nikon D70 owners out there?

threshold

I have a D70 for the weekend to "test drive." My only issue is the focus of the lens (a Nikkor AF-S 18-70) that seems to seriously favor only auto focus modes. Am I missing something or is there no focusing aid for manual mode? I'm talking about the simple split horizon or matrix found in non-auto cameras that indicates perfect focus?

I really never use any auto modes and find this camera “slow” to work with the f-stop on a thumb dial and not on the lens. The shutter speed dial is also pretty slow to work but I think I can get over those issues but the lens thing is killing me”¦ With all the technology packed into this thing (it's got a 4gb microdrive dammit!) I'm thinking I just don't have something turned on”¦

Dec 11, 04 9:17 pm
threshold

Ok, I give… Having just spent the last half hour with auto-focus turned on I’m sold.

I still prefer to set my own shutter speed and f-stop but this camera can focus faster than I can and with the various focus zone settings (it’s like a military heads-up display in this view finder) it is very flexible.

Now just to figure out how to pay for it…

Dec 11, 04 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

whats the price?

Dec 11, 04 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

isn't it $900 or close to it?

Dec 12, 04 9:00 am  · 
 · 
trace™

You can get one with a lens for $1000 if you go online, in a store add a few hundred.

Dec 12, 04 9:23 am  · 
 · 
threshold

There is a $100 rebate running now but you can commonly pick up the "kit" (camera and lens) for $1200 ($1100 after rebate). You still need memory and a 4gb microdrive can be had for about $200 (ritzcamera.com).

I was told the D90 is about to come out so I may be buying the camera I'm "test driving" since its current owner likes to surf the edge of technology.

Dec 12, 04 11:01 am  · 
 · 
rtdc
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

generally has the lowest prices on photo/video equiptment. They have a used one for $769.00 right now.

Dec 13, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

have you compared the D70 with the Canon 20D or 300D? if so, what are your thoughts?

Dec 13, 04 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

B+H = Grey Market = Lookout! (great for film and supplies, but i trust as far as i can throw em)

Dec 13, 04 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Paul,

I’m still a ways off from purchase but I was going to look at all the options from $800 through $1200. I can post my comments when I do.

I have to tell you though, once past the technological façade this is a great camera and I have very much stayed away from the technological aspects of cameras. Up to now my newest camera is a 15 year old Minolta X700 – used in full manual mode. I also own a Yashica med. format, a Speed Graphic 4x5 and a bunch of Holgas.

Dec 13, 04 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
ciaobeetch

Is the D70 the one that feels like it has a plastic/lightweight body rather than metal?? I picked one up at BestBuy the other day and it felt a little light...I think there may be another model for a few hundred more with metal casing..anyone know more about this model.

Dec 13, 04 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

make sure you get the US warranty on Photo equipment.

Dec 13, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

check www.fatwallet.com for good prices

they seem to provide a great number of deals in conjunction with rebates, coupons...

Dec 13, 04 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I own a phat Sony DSC-F717 cybershot which is amazing. My workmate just got a Nikon D70 cause he couldn't find any sonys - and its amazing, made me miss slr's - its a bloody great camera, this from a man that already uses a great camera

Dec 14, 04 7:21 am  · 
 · 
bobby b

dave

where did you learn that the nikon d90 was about to come out?

Dec 15, 04 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

the only flaw in the D70 is the minimum ISO setting. It cannot go lower than ISO200.....which makes me miss the crystal clear, smooth and slick ISO80 and ISO100 pictures...
Though I don't actually own the D70, I have test-driven it quite a few times trying to make my mind up.
Another downside to the D70 was that the viewfinder was a little darker than the Canons (300D and 20D)

If I was to pick, I would go for the Canon EOS 20D...

Dec 15, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

I noticed the ISO thinkg to. I shoot 25 ISO B&W sometimes...

Is this somehow made up in the hardware? I was able to shoot indoors at night and get great results without a flash...

I was at a local camera shop last night shopping the Nikon against Canon. The person I talked to there was a "Canon person." She told me the Rebel line is not at the same level as the D90 and told me I would have to go up to the EOS 20D. I looked at the EOS 20D which is more expensive than the D90 but I liked the way the Nikon felt in my hand better. I'm also spending morethan I can afford at +/-$1200 for the D90 so going to to +/-$1400 for the EOS is too much.

Dec 15, 04 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Sorry to interrupt, but does anyone own a Canon S70? I am probably going to buy one, but I thought I would check. My budget at this time only extends to a 7mp compact camera...

Dec 15, 04 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
bobby b

dave

you were holding a nikon d70...NOT A D90

Dec 16, 04 9:11 am  · 
 · 
threshold

bobbyb - You are correct... The D90 is not yet out.

Dec 16, 04 10:25 am  · 
 · 
bobby b

do you have any specific knowledge about the release of the d90? i am considering purchasing a d70, but will wait if there is a d90...

thanks

Dec 16, 04 11:02 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I was told by the owner of the D70 I was test driving that the D90 is coming out in Feb. 2005 which is why I may be able to buy his D70 off him.

forum.macbidouille.com/lofiversion/index.php/t101273.html

Dec 16, 04 11:58 am  · 
 · 
bobby b

wow...thanks

can you put me in touch with the d70 owner? i would like to learn more about the d90... i joined the french blog, but am unable to post or contact the author who posted the d90 image.

Dec 16, 04 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Olympus has just released a brand new DSLR under $ 1000.
The Olympus E-300 or "E-VOLT"..

that's a pretty good price for a 8mp camera..

Dec 16, 04 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: