Archinect
anchor

does anyone know gossip on Frank Gehry's Disney Concert Hall in LA?

msulli

does anyone know any gossip on Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall?
any help would be greatly appreciated. Any information good and bad is acceptable.

Dec 11, 04 2:40 pm
Tim DeCoster

The "french fry" organ is only about 90% complete. The organ project went so grossly overbudget that it caused the organ builder to go bankrupt.

That said, it would take a very discerning ear, and certain musical notes to be played for anyone to know.

Dec 11, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
msulli

does this have anything to do with Frank Gehry's role? or the contractor's? Or was this something separate from the design of the building?

Dec 11, 04 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

msulli .. what is ur goal..... get back at gehry cause u were fired maybe from his office????????
lol

Dec 11, 04 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
msulli

i am actually doing a thesis on gossip in the discipline and this is my case study. nope, never worked for him.

i know it sounds funny but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 11, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

k...
sorryyyyyyyyy
wished u had mentioned it before,,, cause if u look at the ad man... u'd understand my response...hehhe
lol

Dec 11, 04 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
msulli

i don't understand, look at what?

Dec 11, 04 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

I heard that they are having to go through and sandblast the entire building to make it less reflective. Apparently the adjacent buildings are receiving so much heat from the reflected light that a law suit is pending.

Dec 12, 04 5:01 am  · 
 · 
bdonn

infernocp - heard the same thing.

Dec 12, 04 10:23 am  · 
 · 
msulli

anything else, like whose fault all the budgeting was? the contractor? the client? Frank?

Dec 12, 04 10:40 am  · 
 · 

do any of you ever read the news? "i heard that they are having to go through and sandblast the entire building to make it less reflective" (itallics mine). do you post these things just to annoy the news editors?

Dec 12, 04 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

I heard it from a professor of mine. It could be false, I don't know. I just thought I'd throw it up there, since he asked for "gossip."

Dec 12, 04 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

infernocp
i think what javier is trying to say is that if you read any
article on the sandblasting you'd realize that it was only
a small part of the building not the entire building as
you claim..and it'll cost 180k...

Dec 12, 04 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

no, what i think javier is trying to say is that if you read archinect's news, you would realize that the DCH's sandblasting is highly publicized news, not gossip. trying going to the news section and search for "gehry".

Dec 12, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
msulli

i know these things are in the news, but if there is any information, whether true or false, good or bad, that you have heard about the building, and then when and where you have heard it. Gossip is an example of how mutated information gets passed on.

Dec 12, 04 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

gossip is what your architectural thesis is on or is this for a thesis in another discipline?

Dec 12, 04 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
msulli

it is what my architectural thesis is on, i am trying to learn how it fuctions within the discipline.

Dec 12, 04 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

you're not a sociologist.

Dec 12, 04 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

it sounds more appropriate for entertainment tonight. maybe i am naive, but i don't understand how this is important or relevant to architecture.

Dec 12, 04 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

or how it's going to help him design anything... if we're understanding what this is about.

Dec 12, 04 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

i also heard that to bring down costs, they hired spider monkeys to do the sandblasting. Spider monkeys will work for 2 peaches a day.

Dec 12, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

....Disney Hall will be available for weddings..

Dec 12, 04 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
....Disney Hall will be available for weddings..

Brett Gurewitz, from Bad Religion / Epitaph Records, had his wedding there in June.

Dec 12, 04 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

well i have it from a good source that brad and jen will birth their first born whatever in the main public space, during the intermission of La Boheme...at least that is what the Star's top reporter - an albino midget, named Gidget - told me...

Dec 12, 04 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

the disney concert hall was originally designed to be a supermarket.

-isle 3 cleanup

Dec 12, 04 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

In addition to spider monkeys, midgets in spider monkey costumes will be used, because they will work for only one peach a day.

Dec 12, 04 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

we don't have any siper monkeys, midgets or spider monkey costumes at the supermarket...maybe we should though.

we work for more than one peach a day.

Dec 12, 04 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

It's actually a supermegahyper-laser-mirror, one day they're gonna activate it and smoke Bin Laden right outta his cave...
(so i've heard)

Dec 12, 04 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

something smells like bad jokes...

Dec 12, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

bad jokes smell like cheese barf

Dec 12, 04 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

137 degree temps have been recorded from the reflections...

Dec 13, 04 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

you want jokes, you want cheese, you want supermegahyper-laser-mirrors...you want bin laden...we got it all at the supermarket.

-dd

Dec 13, 04 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

your plugging of the supermarket is so old.

Dec 13, 04 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

hey "the supermarket", lighten up with the self-references. it's beginning to be interpreted as SPAM which isn't tolerated on Archinect.

Dec 13, 04 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

This goes way back to the actual topic. I hadn't realized that a question had been directed to me until just now.

I'm afraid that I don't have much more information than I already stated. If it is of genuine importance to know this, I can check into it and see what else I can find out. If you are just casually asking though, I would prefer to know that beforehand.

My *guess* based on knowing how organ companies are (my current job deals with a LOT of vernacular architecture), the organ company probably just over-promised when they bid the job. I know that this specific organ builder was on its last legs before they bid the job.

Out of desparation to clinch the job and thus stay in business, they may have submitted a low-ball bid. This is probably the case, but again, this is only my hypothesis as to what happened.

Dec 13, 04 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
TG

see Somol's piece in Log 3 re: the relevance of gossip.

Dec 14, 04 12:19 am  · 
 · 
msulli

thank you to all who took this seriously...
I appreciate your help.

Dec 14, 04 12:42 am  · 
 · 
Suture

I heard that Frankie was blaming his intern lackey Brad Pitt for the reflectivity issue. The word is that Brad was secretly planning to harvest the powers of the sun and shine by purchasing the sunniest condo across the street and using it as a tanning booth apartment for his wife and himself. The streets say that his evil plan would have worked nearly to perfection had it not been for Brad's lack of familiarity with the CATIA program.

Also Frankie eats exactly 3 oyster crackers with his soups at lunch.

Dec 14, 04 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: