Archinect
anchor

The Burj Dubai Tower 875 mil. $ tallest in the world

gringodms50

Euronews, displayed on the 9th of december a report stating that dubai has intentions to start a new project, the Burj Dubai Tower, which will be the tallest tower in the world with a height of approximately 700 meters.
Though most of the report was about the construction firm BESIX a Belgian firm known for its international projects such as the palm Jumairah gateway in the UAE, Biljmer railway station in Amsterdam and the H20 Building in Luxembourg and the expense of 875 million dollar project ... no architect's name was mentioned.
P.S. work on project starts on Jan 1 2005 , 47 months to complete.
http://www.besix.com/htm/flashindex.htm

Dec 10, 04 6:59 pm
abracadabra

philippe nixon is the architect.

Dec 10, 04 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
him
Dec 10, 04 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

who is philippe nixon for one?????????????
for two... who r u abracadabra.... and thanks a lot !!!

Dec 11, 04 2:47 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

now that i turned you on to a greatest architect west of lebanon, you should shine my boots only when asked...

Dec 11, 04 3:54 am  · 
 · 
gringodms50

heheeehehhe west......... im in the east dude .... plus ur lebanese>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>???
cool
who r u
i sent u a mail........

Dec 11, 04 6:21 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
link to building ID

. actually if you are really curious about who i am, look into my posts which contain a fair amount of slow released personal info on me.
who are you and how is it like in lebanon?

Dec 11, 04 6:30 am  · 
 · 
gringodms50

well its cool in lebanon.. but not for an architect.. hehehe
lol
im actually thinking of leaving the country but have no idea where to head to yet.. will see
im etienne and u are???

Dec 11, 04 6:44 am  · 
 · 
gringodms50

by the way its not philippe nixon its skidmore, owings & merrill SOM

Dec 11, 04 6:47 am  · 
 · 
aphro_al

lolol... i thought the subject was Burj of dubai...??? :) anyway i am also curious .. abracadabra from where are u?... and well .. for u 2.. the WAR IS OVER no mor WEST East there is only one BEIRUT......

Dec 11, 04 8:11 am  · 
 · 
mmm3

at least it fits in the skyline

Dec 11, 04 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

well dear anyhthing would fit in the dubai skyline........ it's a desert for gods sake.. it recently is becoming a city...
hmmmmmm
wait a sec it just came to me..
how should we define dubai
it's not a city , since its not urban... bass it is kind of.......
weird we should discuss this

Dec 11, 04 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50
http://www.besix.com/htm/flashindex.htm
Dec 11, 04 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
other gems from the area

and
palm island
now, with additional context, can anybody start to discuss what is going on there? i am all ears and eyes. i find this region under discussed if you look into elements. ie; oil, las vegas modelled real estate and city development in the midst of heavy islamic background, west engined commerce and industry, US war in iraq, political developments in every sq. ft. of middle east to name a few.
are the gulf emirates being looted at the moment? there are massive numbers of foreign workers and business. are these western educated 'emirs' simply ceo's of foreign corporations or they are smart businessmen architecting 'hong kong @ middle east'?
my cousin went to dubai last year and told me the whole place was a giant brothel with the abundance of fair skin flesh and romance geared tourism. what is the master plan if any? how all this will pan out when oil starts to deplete? the place is an open field being exploited and developed as we speak. all this saudi styled investment and unknown curve ball. my thoughts are going all over the place.
these buildings are what?

Dec 11, 04 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

to be honest, haven't yet been there but feel quite involved in it living in Beirut.
For what it seems there is a master plan developing , however chaos seems to be somewhere in the air.. i mean in the past 10 years dubai has been changing icons like we change clothes.. that shows that a certain will of development exists, but unfortunately that is mostly linked to major capitals which are fighting their way to shine in Dubai, and though i may be going far with this idea, but its inspired by what's happening in Beirut now, its mostly kuweitis, saudis , egyptians and etc.. who r trying to make a mark in that area.....

Dec 11, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i think the developments in beirut are very different than, lets say, dubai. beirut was a pivotal city in eastern med and it is since surpassed by its neighbors. years of wars and bombing has rendered beirut devoid of its importance and i do not know how it will compete with other eastern med developments that have mushroomed during lebanese absence and turmoil. beirut now, has to compete with cyprus, mediterrannian ports and tourist centers of turkey, israeli cities, to name some. if any relation exists between the gulf emirates and lebanon, it is the shifting of free trade zone status from latter to former.
better beirut can do is boost its cosmopolitan past and know how, and offer it to arab middle classes throughout the region, utilizing the sympathy and aid of its former friends, diaspora, and with the mobilization of its better educated public in comparesant to other arab neighbors.
i would like to think that beirut have more interest in restating its urban past rather than building mile high billboards which it can not afford in the first place.
we should not restrict ourselves to think only about iraq war, palestinian intifada and other surface issues when we talk about middle east. major changes are in motion in middle east that will impact world development perhaps entire 21 century or beyond.
islam with its billion plus population is really boiling right now and there is no way to isolate it to any particular region of the world.
just some more tangents from abracadabra..

Dec 11, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

well its true about the difference between beirut and dubai , but the comparison was only made on the financial investments situation in both countries....
to be honest i dont believe that any other than touristic role can be given to beirut for at least the coming years, though it is trying to fascinate people by its pederson fox towers.. the steven holl marina development and the Jean nouvel millennium downtown project.
as for the suburbs,like many european cities beirut has grown (like mushrooms) with its huge billboards on large strips that were meant to be highways at the beginning but ended up being ***** no one knows what........
but arabs around the region have been coming back to beirut mainly for its people, the evolution, modernism, the home feel , safety , and sexxxxxxxxxxxxx .
what is different in dubai other than its nature , is that one, we cant see any dubai suburbs growing that fadt for now, as for two, there are no "dubaians" if i may say in dubai... its like f*** hong kong, what will happen if the foreigners leave...............
plus we get the feeling there are bits and pieces of urbanism and no master plan........ that's why we hear of palm project, burj el arab, and now the tower.............
but at the end ....... gringodms50 recommends you to visit Beirut lol

Dec 11, 04 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i love to visit beirut. my father have been there few times in 60's and couldn't stop talking how beautiful it was. he was from istanbul. i was born in izmir, one time the 'pearl of egean sea'..
architecture in turkey has been raped for decades and people are just realizing now, how much they have to work to save whats left in terms of physical environment. in order to establish some healthy urban environments, i would say half of every turkish town should be demolished. there are 300,000 buildings in istanbul alone would not resist +,-6 earthquake due to shady building practices, corrupted construction sector and unchecked building speculation. they are expecting a major earthquake there in next 30 years to top it all. i have not seen 1 decent building constructed in turkey for last 30 years. best architecture you will see there would be old ottoman buildings and their adaptive uses.
my hometown municipality stiffed le corbusier several thousand francs in 50's for his master planning work.

Dec 11, 04 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

well abracadabra, would love to c u in Beirut... i'll be ur guide lol.
if u ever think of coming over , just let me know.

Dec 12, 04 2:55 am  · 
 · 
TED

david childs=som ny=freedom tower replacing WTC attached by Osama bin Laden

adrian smith=som chi=burj dubai being contructed by a company run by Osama bin Laden's family -- The Saudi Binladin Group

not only makes good conversation at som partner meetings but does anyone see any irony here? or when does a company draw a line in the sand.......no pun intended.....

'som is a good architect.....'=sezs the many faces of osama

Jul 26, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: