Archinect
anchor

POEM inspiring Urban Sense or Architecture?

cric

PLease recommend any Modern or Post Modern poem inspires us a lot (like fiction of Italo Calvino does to us)

Thanks!

Dec 10, 04 1:36 pm
instrumentOFaction

try this book:

http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/46967.html

i'm sure you could do a bit of research and find out what authors are published there and search online. i've found that most well-regarded poetry can be found online if you look for it.

as for Italo inspiring anything but a nap, you're on your own.

Dec 10, 04 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

I am provoked as much by Calvino's works like 'Cosmicomics' and 'Six Memos for the Next Millenium' as I am by 'Invisible Cities'. The link between architecture and 'Invisible Cities', in fact, seems lazy to me. Calvino used the city in all its varied guises as a metaphor for a larger human condition and architects have narrowly interpreted it as a statement about cities themselves.

So...the poetry in which I find inspiration and (more importantly for me) provocation is not usually architectural. It usually has a good amount of word play, is interesting structurally, or is descriptive in a way that makes me wonder at the author's ability to make such acute observations and describe them so accurately with the same words I use. Play, structure, and translation of life/observation into meaningful form with technical precision: things I also admire in architecture.

My favorites for the last few years: Omeros, by Derek Walcott; also his collected poems; The Cinnamon Peeler, by Michael Ondaatje; and 100 poems, by e.e. cummings.

Dec 10, 04 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
chico

Far from architectural, but one of my favorites is Li-Young Lee. Incredibly descriptive, simple, graceful. I particularly like his book of poems entitled 'Rose'.

Dec 10, 04 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: