Archinect
anchor

Libeskind's ROM

Colm

Two blocks down from my office is Daniel Libeskind's ROM (with live webcam!)

http://www.rom.on.ca/renaissance/index.php

Discuss...

Dec 10, 04 12:33 pm
tricky

Wow! The steel is massive. It is a great improvement over the Terrace Gallery that was built in the early 80's. Colm, can you take pictures from the steet and upload them?

Dec 10, 04 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

I worked on some of the 3d visuals/animations for that project, and I have to say it was one of the most "head f***ing" experiences" i gained a new found respect not neccessarily for libeskind but for the people working in his office.

You have to be like data or spock from start treck to get your head around the forms and especially the interiors.

Whether it says anything new I am not sure.

but thats what happens to you when you hit the top.

Nowhere to go apart from churhing over the same stuff that people are asking for.

Dec 11, 04 5:03 am  · 
 · 
gibberish

The visuals are really nice--was that done in-house or did he farm it out to a specialty company? If so, which one?

Dec 11, 04 6:19 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

gibberish
I think some if not most of the gallery ones were done by the interiors guys and exhibition designers, the externals and animation were done by a firm in london. Not sure if i am allowed to publicise who. contact me off board and I will let you know

Dec 11, 04 6:53 am  · 
 · 
tricky

Is there anybody living in Toronto that can take pictures of the construction site?

Dec 11, 04 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Francisco David and I will do it, if you can hold on until the end of the month.

Dec 11, 04 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Colm

tricky, wish I could post some pics, but I don't have a camera yet. At the moment, they've got hoarding up on the sidewalk that has windows looking at the construction. On a lucky day, the cement truck or pile of formwork will not be blocking the windows. But there's always the chainlink fenced workers entrance (if Bubba the security guard doesn't wave you along first). Cool note: They had to use laser triangulation to get the steel within (something like) 1/8" in xyz-axis.

Dec 12, 04 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
tricky

Colm, use your office's camera or use a friend's.

Zoe, are you travelling to Toronto over the holidays?

Dec 14, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Yes we are. Are planning to photograph a collection of Toronto architecture for the site as well. There's been two interesting concurrent booms in Toronto. One, of fairly under-the-radar condo construction and the other of the more well known to Archinect readers, signature projects. David and I want to take a look at them.

Dec 14, 04 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

Zoe -
we might be going as well sometime around dec 27-30 ... maybe we can grab a drink at the drake

Dec 14, 04 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
tricky

I feel that Toronto has overdosed on condos. Even Richard Meier is doing a condo here now.

Dec 15, 04 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
tricky

Hey, JB. Did you keep any of the images or have screen shots that you worked on that you could maybe post?

Dec 22, 04 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

I think everything we worked on is on the ROM site.

I wouldnt post stuff around without seeking permission first.

Dec 23, 04 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: