Archinect
anchor

Social Practice of Architecture

batiment

I will be taking an independent study course next semester with an assigned topic: Social Practice of Architecture. (the details are a little more complex, but thats the basic premise of what was worked out to meet a social science elective while studying abroad). The professor who will be advising the course has recommend that I choose a book(s) that deal with social issues in architecture, read it, re-read it, and essentially become an "expert" on that particular book. The course will be evaluated by periodic conversations with the professor that should reflect an in-depth understanding of the subject matter.

So...any book suggestions? Other general comments?

Dec 9, 04 4:27 pm
stephanie
i liked this one

you should check out the books section

Dec 9, 04 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Not sure what you mean by "Social Practice of Architecture" but James Howard Kunstler is a socialogist who critiques and writes about architecture. His writings are intelligent, insightful.. and entertaining. His writings are on social implications of architecture. You could easily read one or more of his books several times and delve deeper each time and not get bored! He will also e-mail correspond with you if you write to him, as I have before. Try the books Geography of Nowhere, Home from Nowhere and he has a new one that may be out on current trends in energy usage and sustainability of skyscrapers and roadways. His books are about architecture but not the usual archispeak, and they are page-turners and are far from dry and boring! He has done his homework and has teamed with architects to study impact of architecture on society and how things have come to be the way they are. e-mail me if you want his e-mail address.

Dec 9, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

good points all. i agree that the "social practice of architecture" is a bit vague but if its a course designed to be associated with study abroad, i'm sure thats the point. If you've proven yourself prepared to take on a period of foreign study, then you should be prepared to adapt your architectural education to the breadth of experience you'll have, architecturally specific or not.

Periods of transition in culture, sexual identity, gender roles, environmental sustainability, applications of history, and modern philosophy are all temporaral topics worthy of study.

here are a few books that may have application to your course. the latter titles are 'denser' than the first, but they all involve topics that will challenge whatever cultural conventions you bring to your international travels, thus giving you food for thought along the way:

How Buildings Learn, by Stewart Brand
Fire and Memory, by Luis Fernandez-Galiano, translated by Gina Carino
Plumbing: Sounding Modern Architecture, by D.S. Friedman and Nadir Lahiji

Lastly, for 'social architecture', its hard to beat the work of Samuel Mockbee or Archinect's own Cameron Sinclair.

Dec 9, 04 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

Thank you.

My advisor had recommended Content by Koolhaas as something to consider. Although I haven't read this yet, I am familiar enough with Koolhaas to know what to expect. So, without writing of the recommendation, I was trying to think of books that presented differing attitudes so the dichotomy could generate a more inclusive conversation. For example: Content and S. Mockbee (as recommended by instrumentOFaction).

Do you think this is worth pursuing, or should I focus on one book and really pick at it?

Either way, keep the recommendations coming.

Dec 9, 04 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Batiment,

Your inclination to choose two (or more) books is the right one. One book is one view; two books are two views, yet the intellectual space between the two (comparing and contrasting) provides essentially a third approach... just the thing to "generate a more inclusive conversation," as you say.

Dec 9, 04 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

batiment,

check into content...it's more than you think you know about rem.

by the way, he and his fellow contemporary culturalists are going to start shopping at the SUPERMARKET...

-d20:30

Dec 9, 04 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

batiment - a lot depends on what you define 'social' as - if it is social as part of a more social betterment type vein, then maybe something by lewis mumford, jane jacobs, or hannah arendt would be useful. if 'social' is more cultural theory as it applies to architecture (content would fall into that vein), maybe fredric jameson or eisenman or somebody would be interesting to you (lots of choices in this category). 'social' as in social justice might include the mockbee book, but i would look to authors outside architecture - richard wright for example - as your best bet.

comparison and contrast could be a good strategy, but that will depend on what kinds of speculations you make about each arena.

Dec 9, 04 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

socialization and how that relates to architecture.
im thinking urbanization and globalization.

you should get
"considering rem koolhaas. what is OMA?"
see it here

its a short read with great work from
all the best historians and critics.

Dec 10, 04 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

You might also look into a classic collection of essays from the early 90s:
Out of Site: A Social Criticism of Architecture

Dec 10, 04 10:06 am  · 
 · 

I WAS going to propose "Good Deeds, Good Design: Community Service Through Architecture" by Bryan Bell, but if your advisor recommended "Content", he's coming from a different place than I had in mind.

Dec 10, 04 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I agree this is a broad topic, essentially all architecture becomes social once it enters the public sphere. However I am guessing that this prof is looking for a book which directly addresses social issues of architecture. I second Marc's suggestion and would also suggest looking at authors like Diane Ghirado, Rosalyn Deustch, Mike Davis, and Dolores Hayden. There is another great series of books put out by the Storefront for Art and Architecture, the first one was called Mortal City and includes many of the aformentioned authors essays.

Personally I would avoid Koolhaas because his research involves so many disciplines it may get complicated for you. I also think he tends to "Cool/Kool" things up too much which annoys me. The authors I mention deal with very specific issues like survelliance, homelessness, and economic justice in urban planning.

Dec 10, 04 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

Thank you all.

I'm looking into all these books to see which direction I'd like to take this. I agree with the comments on Koolhaas (though it is interesting), and I think that's why I was hesitant to heed my instructor's recommendation.

Also, I wonder what your thoughts are on Richard Rorty's Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity and/or Styallyrass & White's The Politics and Poetics of Transgression.

I will be meeting with him on the 15th to discuss a gameplan. I will let you know where I end up. Until then, I would appreciate further comments.

Dec 11, 04 9:28 am  · 
 · 
weave

just off the top of my head: margaret crawford's writings are very straightforward and speak to present situations of societies and architecture....not to bog you down, but they may be worth a look.

(since i know the professor you speak of) 'the activist drawing', the new book on Constant contains several articles from some really smart people who have something to say about Constant's vision of 'the social'. you may already have this.

i don't think i would venture down the stallybrass & white trail just for the lack of architectural information...(but that could be good too, depending on how you structure your argument).

and as mentioned above, frederick jameson has some interesting things to say about the topic.

historically, adolf loos might be a good way for you strengthen whatever argument you are trying to make.

lemme know if any of this helps or if you need specific titles. i would agree though that w/ such a broad topic, it would be difficult to become an "expert"...but i know you are capable of reading a lot, so it may be good to blow your professor away and become an expert in many books/articles. this is a good excercise for thesis work, too.

Dec 15, 04 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

A right to difference
The architecture of Jean Renaudi
by Irenee Scalbert, published by AA this year

And now for something completely different...
This book is weird, well Jean Renaudi is at least. Just visisted one of his build dreams, Jeanne Hachette in Ivry (Paris) :o
Social housing...but every apartment is different!
Cannot explain...read and be surprised...his texts and sketches and projects...

Dec 15, 04 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: