Archinect
anchor

Word for indoor balcony?

albearto

Students, architectural professionals, what is the word?  'Catwalk' is just the answer..Period, as long as it is 'open to below' on both sides to a substantial degree with only 'balustrades' (in case y'all forgot what they are too, they're the floor to handrail height assembly thingys with a railing for one to grasp with their hand, and also with some medium between the floor and the railing which will to allow your chirdren to get their heads stuck into, while at the same time will also prevent your chirdren from falling from the 'Catwalk' via the 'open to below' airspace to the underlying 'Mezanine' or whatever the correst name for the space down may be...Some common materials used are wood, ornamental iron or maybe even or plexiglass or chicken wire or even un-refined sections of tree trunks from whatever saplings might be abundant in the area.....Ya know, the 'pickets' or 'baluster' thingys.   'Catwalk' is just the answer..Period.  As long as the aforementioned descriptives have been satisfied.  And you're all welcome, now you can sleep at night again.  BUT WAIT!   Might it be acceptable to utilize more than only one word for the space?  OH NO!  WHAT HAVE I SAID AND DONE NOW?  Maybe you can call it an 'Open Hallway'.  Or maybe one could use even more words than only two, and throw in a slash-mark to be appropriately descriptive. 'Catwalk/Open Hallway/Upper Landing w/ Balustrade'  thats it!  Not gonna be able to sleep at night again.  Now to see how many might be compelled to quip that 'chirdren' is not a word in the English vocabulary and to ask if I was referring to or intending to say 'children'.

Apr 5, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe you can stop resurrecting long dead threads?

Apr 5, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wondering what's worse... resurrecting a dead thread, or posting a new clone. Both are annoying.

Aug 29, 18 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

catwalk noun 1. a narrow walkway (as along a bridge) 2. a platform along which models walk in a fashion show : runway

If that Ricky's new account?

Apr 5, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

In Australia, they are typically called Winter Gardens.

Apr 5, 18 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Mezz
Apr 6, 18 1:45 am  · 
 · 
waltervontageniii

The term you are searching for, I believe (as was I) is "open hallway"

source - 

https://luxesource.com/designs...

Aug 28, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

What is the word for this?

Aug 4, 19 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Alcove tub.

Aug 5, 19 5:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

slippery steps

Aug 5, 19 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The least they could have done was align the tile joints on the column.

Aug 5, 19 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That tile installer has been misaligning tile joints for years and doesn't care what you, fancy designer, says.

Aug 5, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
midlander

this is a homemade quench tank

Aug 5, 19 10:31 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"Eisenman Tub"

Aug 5, 19 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
anushree10

To the best of my knowledge its called Mezzanine.

Aug 8, 19 7:46 am  · 
 · 
000036xxx

I can't even begin to describe how frustrating and maddening it is that architecture students/architects don't know what to call this thing. You all fail. 

Nov 17, 20 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

What do you call it, then?

Feb 26, 21 8:32 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Still waiting.

Mar 16, 21 9:11 am  · 
 · 

"this thing", apparently.

Mar 16, 21 12:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Touche.

Google returns a single result for Shay Swindlehurst, a mid-20s writer and paranormal investigator in western MA. The plot thickens.

Mar 16, 21 2:35 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Shay, I would like to know how frustrating you find it. Start at the beginning.

Mar 16, 21 2:45 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

From his remote perch at Swindlehurst Manor, young Shay visits various profession-oriented websites to dispense his special brand of uninformed critique. Next up for SS: a scathing commentary at Dentinect.com: "That's not a lateral incisor, you dolt!"

Mar 16, 21 2:52 pm  · 
4  · 
000036xxx

Love the exposure this is getting me. I was looking for the word for a piece of writing actually. Had to remove a whole scene from my crappy paranormal investigative mockumentary because it had "this thing" in it

Mar 16, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, the paranormal jive is satire?

That's too bad because I have a ghost problem and I don't know who to call.

Mar 16, 21 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
000036xxx

I take both satiric and serious inquiries, but only so long as the ghost is haunting the thing that isn't quite a mezzanine but not a gallery but not an open foyer either.

Mar 16, 21 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how do you feel above elevated walkways? What about feature landings?

Mar 16, 21 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Miles's landing tub above is perfect for such a story. It's Winchester House meets HGTV.

Mar 16, 21 4:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

"The Overlook" seems like a good book title to me. And as good as any other name for the thing which apparently cannot be named.

Mar 16, 21 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
danielcalderon

The term is "Open Foyer"

Jan 18, 21 10:31 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Hall

Jan 19, 21 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
rachid

Banister

Jul 17, 22 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
woreyourm

according to Tom Aspinal, its a Landing Area (UK people)

Nov 17, 23 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: