Archinect
anchor

kid designs

awaiting_deletion

Occasionally i avoid paid work by working with my oldest daughter (6 years old) on her designs and imagination.

Today she designed a dog game with a Dog Hotel, cars, etc... I managed to keep pace with her sketches in 3D. Here are the results - Enjoy!

Looking forward to other Archinectors posting their kid collaborations, or kids work...

section through car

the world

the dog hotel (note the elevator button based on her sketches)

cars in parking lot

A few notes: Madison said the doors on the car needed to be lighter pink than the car so you can find the doors.  The seats in the car are brown for the boys, since boys may not like pink cars.  Dad was allowed input on the hotel windows, but that was it.

Oct 25, 14 3:21 pm
boy in a well

cool as fuck.

Oct 25, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

That's an awful lot of poorly sited automobile infrastructure. Six doesn't seem like it's too young to learn about best practices in urban planning. And there's absolutely no way that dogs should ever be allowed to drive.

Oct 25, 14 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Awesome!

I gave my little nephew a tour of our office (landscape) last year and had a deadline to meet while he visited his first night, so he watched me work. That night as we settled in I gave him the laptop to watch movies. At one point I looked over his shoulder--he had opened up sketchup and built a house and yard with paths and walls...I could see his little gears turning, that was cool...Of course I then lectured him about designing on the computer, sketchup..you know...kids.

Oct 25, 14 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

@Larchinect - sketchup is half way to drawing, at least it wasn't Grasshopper, ha...gears turning are great.

@anonitect, Madison's gears turned after I reviewed your criticism, she woke up this morning before me and said - when we working on the garage, see below.

by the way see Rhoda Kellog house drawings by kids link here 2951 drawings from Brain Landscape by John Paul Eberhard.  it's not pomo, its  what a houses look like?

Oct 26, 14 10:22 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

GO dogs. GO! 

Wife and I just welcomed our first. I'm looking forward to this! For now we will just keep reading about those crazy dogs. You could make this into a children's book. Publish through on of these online printing sites. Give it to your daughter as a present to remember the exercise. or beginning of her portfolio, whatever. 

Oct 27, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 

I'd much rather see the kid's drawings than the parents CAD interpretations, unless they are digital too.

Oct 27, 14 11:55 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I think it's awesome that you're spending time with your daughter like this. I'd like to see the sketches too. Just be sure that, when she's old enough, you explain the fiscal realities of the profession.

Oct 27, 14 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

And there's absolutely no way that dogs should ever be allowed to drive.

same could be said for most people, yet we let them drive anyway.

great design olaf and family.

Oct 27, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Jonathan Congrats! and yes this is a lot of fun, and that's an awesome idea - the book.

I'll round up the rest of her sketches, she is fast and furious and moves quickly between projects (just bought a scanner for home so I can keep up).

Miles, half the purpose of me doing this is to post kid sketches in professional format, it's an interesting scenario and a lot of fun for her as the designer...there's a lot to the imagination that sketches can say very little about.

Any archinectors have work to post?  would love to see it.

Oct 27, 14 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

why does this remind me of archigram?

Oct 27, 14 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

My son had an idea the other day about building a house out of candy, there would be a caramel room, chocolate room, jellybelly room, ice-cream room, gummy bear room, etc. The idea was that each room was its own candy/sweet, built entirely out of that material...monolithic candy rooms.  yea!  (no renderings, sorry)  

Oct 31, 14 8:06 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

chigurh that's sounds saweet! haha...if I can download a gummy bear room i could have that rendering in like 5 minutes....let's see what I can find.

Nov 1, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no free gummy bear models and the ones that exist right, really wanted to show the multi colored gummy room, i'd mount it to glass to allow daylight to bleed through the jelly.

Nov 2, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha...yea..I forgot to clarify that everything within said room was also built out of candy, furniture, books, millwork...all of it..You could just eat a piece of your closet door if you had a fixin for some gummy....

Nov 2, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: