Archinect
anchor

1st time in Chicago----

Inkaism

Hello All,
A friend and I will be visiting Chicago for the 1st time this Dec. 10th. We are hoping that any Chicagoans in the house will represent and suggest a few activities, must see's, restaurants, hotels, nightlife, etc, etc's in this most architecturally blessed city in this wonderfully (democratic) union of ours . We really are looking forward to the freezing temperatures, and the mess of an airport ORD is (so we hear).......

Dec 5, 04 4:58 am
Tim DeCoster

you should see millenium park and the surrounding buildings.

Also, eat at lawry's prime rib (just becasue it's so tasty -- also the historic architecture isn't bad). The itallian village is also a good restaurant - there are 3 levels depending on the type of meal you are after. I would suggest reservations there.

If you want a great view, have a drink at the bar on the top of the John Hancock... the view is actually much nicer than that from the Sears tower. There's a restaurant up there too... but pretty expensive.

I'm not from Chicago, but I'm no stranger to it, being that I live in Milwaukee. Chicago is a great city, I hope you enjoy!

Dec 5, 04 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Inkaism

Thanks Tim........I will be definitely make a note of those suggestions of yours.

Dec 5, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

the inner town pub off damen...ask for mike the owner...the best dive bar in town...you'll love it I swear.

another good bar is called the old town ale house on north ave...it's where all the old second city performers used to drink at...the bar is across the street from second city as well (so check that out as too)

if you like hot dogs check out the vienna beef stand in the home depot on north ave....best dog in town.

and of course check out IIT...take the green line and get off at 33rd

Dec 5, 04 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

i went there about 4 years ago--great time! then i didnt know much about architecture so i went to see FLW Unity Temple-and also his House and Studio in Oak Park-also take a walk around oak park and find other FLW houses

Dec 5, 04 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
ether

what kinda food do ya like? what's your budget. there are tons of great restaurants to cater to any budget. just give me some hints to what you'd like to hit up.

check out wriggleville, north/damen/milwauke area, the loop, old town, IIT. just get on the el and just ride it all the way out and all the way back in - i would suggest the brown line towards kimball. millenium park. if you want to do some FLW head out the green line to oak park.

i second the drink in the hancock. are you guys the neighborhood bar or club type types?

Dec 6, 04 10:16 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Ugh, why would you send someone to a Home Depot for a hot dog? Don't forget to try the coffee at Menards!

For the best hot dog in town, nothing beats Portillo's (Chicago area chain). Plain and simple. Or the Wiener Circle up by Wrigley. Free side of verbal abuse with every order after about 9pm.

If you haven't had the opportunity to shop at something similar, I recommend popping into Prairie Ave Bookstore on Wabash and Jackson(?). If it was written and pertains to architecture, odds are they have it. Plus, there's a really cool antique book/magazine/furniture section on the mezzanine level.

Millenium park is fun... for about 12 minutes. Then the spectacle wears off. But as long as you're down in that area, the Art Institute is absolutely well worth the admission (which I think is $12, but it's a name-your-own-price system). Plus, you might still be able to catch the end of the Unbuilt Chicago exhibit or the start of 10 Visions.

As far as night life goes, I'll have to defer to the others on that one. Lately my night life has included such hip clubs as "studio," "all-night coffee place," and "sitting in front of the laser cutter."

Dec 6, 04 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Inkaism

Thanks ether............ I prefer ethnic foods; indian, thai, peruvian, japanese fusion, etc, etc. I will definitely get a train map-shedule online so i can get around the city.
Whats the cheapest way to get to your hotel in the city from ORD?
As far as the type of nightlife people my friend and I are...............we are very much electronica-dj gig type people.
We are only going to be there Friday thru Sunday.

Dec 6, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Christmas shopping on the magnificent mile (Michigan Ave.) All your chain stores, department stores if you're into that thing.
I have been to a few electronica clubs in Chicago - not for a while though so can't promise that they are still happening. Circus, and Crowbar. Can't remember any others ...
The monodonack (spelling?) building is one of my favorites. So is the Rookery. Chicago has great architectural walking tours available.
Prairie Avenue bookstore is an absolute MUST! It is all architecture and design books. You will not be disappointed. Maybe ask about the tours there, they should know, I think they start a few blocks away at the Chicago Architecture Foundation.

Dec 6, 04 11:22 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Strawbeary is right about Prairie Avenue Books...it's a must. Just allow yourself at least two hours. Also, the Chicago Architecture Foundation (on Michigan Ave, near Prairie shop) should be home base for visiting architects. Dozens of tours and scads of information on what we love...plus a decent collection of books and architecture-related doodads. Enjoy!

Dec 6, 04 11:30 am  · 
 · 
A

Where is your hotel at? From ORD just take the CTA trains into the loop. If you are in a hotel on Michigan Ave. you'll have to take a bus or walk a few blocks but most hotels near the loop are quite accessible from the CTA.

I'm heading down there in a few weeks to see friends and check out the Unbuilt Chicago exhibit at the Art Institute. They usually have very decent architecture exhibits there. Unless you are into corny touristy stuff I'd avoid the Navy Pier mess. For a good skyline view without going out in a boat hike out to Shedd Aquarium.

Not really hip to the dance club scene there. Back in the days of the Energy92.7/1 radio they were getting very decent european dance happenings in town. Never was a huge fan of any resident Chicago DJ's. You can literally drink all night in Chicago so you should check out the nightlife for sure.

Dec 6, 04 11:32 am  · 
 · 
A

For guided tours I know they used to sell tickets at the base of the John Hancock tower. Has that moved? As an architect I think you can get a better tour on your own with a book of Chicago architecture. The guided tours aren't geard towards design professionals.

Usually people are pretty receptive if you tell them who you are and what you are doing. Not sure in a post 9/11 world though. I once got great pictures of the river from 333 Wacker by just telling the security guard on a Sat. afternoon that I was an architect and wanted to look at a building site. Kinda lied there, but he bought it and he let me into locked offices.

Skip the lines as the Sears Tower skydeck. Woo-hoo, I can see Indiana! Big deal.

Dec 6, 04 11:45 am  · 
 · 

The Architecture Foundation's boat tour is great, too. Gives you a completely different angle on the city than you'll get from the sidewalks.

Dec 6, 04 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Inkaism

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.
A, I will be staying at the W City center which is on Adams.
I think going to one of FLW's houses would be awesome. Where are they? In Oakpark? Can I get there by CTA trains?

Dec 6, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the Robie house is not in Oak Park and it is pretty cool, but many of them are. Unity temple too.

Dec 6, 04 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
A
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004D.html

There is a CTA stop right on Adams but others might be closer. You'll take the blue line in from ORD and might need to transfer to an elevated train in the loop.

These maps are quite good for finding your way around. Take the red line up to Addison and see Wrigley. There is great eating and drinking all over in that area.

Dec 6, 04 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

It alos depends on where you came from. If you like, a walking wandering in the lincon park area including Lincoln park and residential area will give you guys some unexpected surprise. People are friendly. the single house, townhouse and highrise either in modern or classical style will tell you what is a decent life Libeskind is looking for.

Dec 7, 04 9:20 am  · 
 · 
ampm

for awesome indian food, try almost any restaurant on W.Devon street. Very cheap for what you get. From what i remember, its an enclave of east indian shops and restaurants. street life is fairly lively and neighborhood-y. Its relatively remote, but you can get there if you take the grand ave.bus or the chicago ave. bus to western ave and go way the hell up to north ave.

For Korean food, far eastern barbque is great and located right next to the brown line el, southport stop. there is also an old arthouse movie theater called the music box and a tiny bowling alley called southport lanes that uses a live pin monkey instead of automation.

Also down in chinatown is a few good places for bubble tea. phoenix cafe on the ground level serves different bubble teas. you can hang out and play jenga or cards. Another spot is Joy Yee, which is in this "chinese" themed strip mall off the redline stop.

there, you can take your bubble tea to go(should you decide not to eat their kick ass food, and head a few doors down to this tiny karaoke spot. Its "hot box" style, as seen in "lost in translation". You only embarrass yourself in front of your friends. They have all sorts of tunes. last time i was there, they even had "blue monday" by new order. Its also BYOB.

Lastly, don't forget to stare at the lake. Its pretty dramatic sometimes during the winter. But it can be painfully cold.

Dec 7, 04 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: