Archinect
anchor

Auto CAD-editable hidden-line drawing from VIZ or 3Ds MAX?

bRink

Anyone know how I can export a 2-D hidden line rendering of a view from a 3dS MAX 6 or VIZ model that I can edit it in AutoCAD?

I am looking for a feature that I used to use in Microstation, "export hidden line" where I could capture a view of my 3d model (whether a sectional view, a plan view, a perspective, or an axonometric view) and edit it as a flattened 2D image with hidden lines, etc.

Basically, I want to take a bunch of sections and axonometric views from my 3D model in 3Ds MAX (complete with hidden lines and objects in the distance), and edit them in AutoCAD.

I know how to cut sections using the section object, but is there a way to actually export a view to a 2d (flattened) autocad image that I can work in Autocad? This way I can apply a slice modifier to my whole model and import a hidden-line drawing of that section view into AutoCAD...

I've searched the web about this and asked a number of people, and I know that there was a plug-in called Vecta3D that came on a CD with VIZ 4 that would allow you to produce hidden line renders... But I'm not sure whether this means a hidden line type raster image, or a hidden line drawing that is a flattened 2D vector file of a 3D view (which I can edit in AUTOCAD).

Any help would greatly appreciated!

Dec 3, 04 11:56 pm
andrew04

Not sure about Viz or Max, but you can export a workable hidden line drawing out of FormZ if you happen to have access to it. You can import your .3ds file into FormZ. Also maybe try posting on cgarchitect.com, lots of professional Max users there

Dec 4, 04 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Basically, I figured this out because I was jelous of Maya users ability to vector render. (A 2d Hidden line model openable in Autocad or Illustrator. Same as what you are talking about. Ok, Here's the sequence to Vector Render 3dMax models:

1.Save MAX model as a DWG.

2.Open it in AutoCAD.

3.Use the 3D Orbit button to rotate it into the position you want. In
Desktop 3.3 it is the little green planet at the top. Or you can type
'3Dorbit' in the command line of AutoCAD 2005.

4.To turn it into a perspective view: Left click on the model and
under 'projection' choose perspective.

5.Left click again over the model and under 'Shading Modes' choose 'hidden'.

6.Plot the file and Choose PostScript level 2 as your plot device. Do
you have a PostScript level 2 loaded as a plot device already? ie. Can
you choose it as a plotter? If so, skip down to 8.

7.If not, go back to model space and to the top menu bar in autocad.
Open 'Tools' then choose 'Plotting'. Then 'Add or Configure Plotter.'
Go to 'Add-a-Plotter Wizzard' and choose 'PostScript level 2' when you
get to the 'Ports' choices, you will see three circles at the top of
the window. Choose the middle one, 'Plot to file' (you want to create
an eps, not send it to a printer.) then finish the wizard.

8.Then, in Model space (doesn't work from paper space) plot the file.
Under plot device choose Postscriptlevel2. Below, you will see the two
windows 'File name' and 'Location' make sure the file name ends in
.eps, and choose the folder you want to save to.

9. Then, under Plot settings, choose 'Hide Objects' one of the 'plot
options on the Plot Settings tabwindows. (though, I think AutoCAD 2005
does it automatically.)

10. Draw a window and plot.

If you want to vector render a section: slice the model and delete everything that is behind the viewers eye when you cut the section. Then apply the process.

OK?

Dec 4, 04 2:53 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

OOOps: I, Zoë Coombes wrote the above post, while this computer is logged into Francisco David Boira's account... OOOpps. He didn't write the above, BUT, he knows EVERything about Maya (seems to me..) so don't let me tell you otherwise.....

Dec 4, 04 3:09 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Zoe: Thank you so much!! You are a life saver!

Okay, I was thinking along those lines as well, but wasn't familiar with AutoCAD 3D, and was going to try to figure it out, but this helps so much! I will try this. Thanks a million!

Andrew04: The cgarchitect site is helpful too... Thanks for the reference! A friend told me to import to FormZ as well, but I was also reluctant because it was an extra software to worry about....

Thanks for your help!

Dec 4, 04 3:26 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Now with AutoCAD there are another way, of several, you add a DXF plotter and make a DXFout , then you make a DXFin and all you get is the vectors as how you asked the DXF plotter to handle with or without hidden lines.---- Eh the DXF plotter will produce the file with the name you chose and .DXF last just like when you produce any other graphic plot format.

Try look for .DXF file ,the only drawback is that when you import the DXF file it will be out of scale ,so if you need any scale be sure to place somthing in the drawing that you can use to scale the DXF vectors, ---- if you can't find the imported vectors make a box round the drawings 0,0,0 point ,that is where the vectors will be placed.

Dec 4, 04 6:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: