Archinect
anchor

new york questions again

beatmeofficer

anyone have recommendations for must see smaller contemporary art galleries/studios in new york?

how about a good bookstore for art and design? or a CD shop with an extensive hip-hop selection?

Dec 3, 04 2:07 am
JG

gallery-troll around the far west side in the low 20's. There are many small galleries all designed by Richard Gluckman. You can also visit the Max Protech gallery, he usually has some architecture exhibit going on. If your a bit adventurous go across the river to DUMBO in brooklyn where you will find more alternative galleries.

For books check out The Strand on University and 12th (I think) or the Urban Center on Madison and 55th, it's in an old mansion but there is a sign usually on the sidewalk (it's closed on Sunday), they also have a gallery.

I don't know about the hip hop thing.

Enjoy.

Dec 3, 04 9:00 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I would check out a copy of Time Out New York for the week that you are staying there. It lists all the gallery shows for that week. I was in New York around Thanksgiving, and there were a number of good painters exhibited in the smaller galleries.

If you are up for leaving the city. I would check out the Chinati Foundation. It is a nice train ride there too. Especially this time of the year.

Dec 3, 04 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i remember the protech gallery being close to an architectural bookstore.

Dec 3, 04 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

if u want hiphop, look at the turntable lab store (i think it still exists, try googling it).

Dec 3, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
weave

there is a good art/architecture bookstore in williamsburg...can't remember the name, but you can't miss it. it's on the main drag near all the coffee shops/restaurants. last time i was there they had a very early copy of 'vers une architecture' that they were keeping under glass.

Dec 3, 04 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
JG

That copy is still there, which reminds me to get my first editions of Le Modulor and Frank Lloyd Wright An Autobiography appraised, both are yard sale finds. The store is on Bedford at N 8th.

Dec 3, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

also, any ideas on apartment searching? I have been looking through craigslist.org, but am wondering if there are any others?

planning on moving from boston to ny.

Dec 3, 04 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Store Front for Art and Architecture, of course.

Dec 4, 04 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
dlj

as far as small galleries, you need to visit chelsea. i've just moved to new york and haven't had a chance to explore yet but chelsea is definately known for its galleries. you should be able to find these in any new york information book like NFT, etc. let me know what you find!

Dec 4, 04 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
breathe

SAHAR:: chinati is in marfa texas... are you thinking of the DIA: Beacon??

Dec 4, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
j lotus

for books, small galleries, there is the urban center, at 457 Madison Ave.
www.urbancenterbooks.com

also check out Halcyon:the shop which is in Dumbo, I went there a few times when it was a smaller cafe/record shop on Smith St but haven't checked out the new digs...
www.halcyonline.com

Dec 4, 04 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: