Archinect
anchor

Stainless Steel Ship's Ladder

R.A. Rudolph

Anyone have experience specifying one? I have done extensive online searches and found a few - the best looking one being an alternating tread stair from Lapeyre. Hoping to find something a little more boatlike and less industriual.

Dec 2, 04 2:46 pm

You could probably get one fabricated for a resonable price if you went to a local metal shop, and that way it could have the look that you want. Not sure if this is possible with the project's budget, but its always an option.

Dec 2, 04 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
A

What kind of client is going to pay for that?

Dec 2, 04 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

This is more in answer to P and A regarding fabrication than it is a straight recommendation for RAR -

After repeatedly (i.e., 6 yrs) making the mistake of searching and searching and finally specifying pieces that were ALMOST what I wanted, I learned that metal fabrication does not have to be expensive. I've learned not to be afraid of it. Of course, you still have to do research, but a different kind - like what metal fab shop in town is hungry...

And listen to the shop once you find one. Often they can give you what you want, but make it in a way that makes more sense given the way they're set up.

(A- I've had both churches and private residential clients pay for this. Neither very wealthy. Sometimes it just makes more sense than other options.)

Dec 2, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

Pay for what, misc. metals fabrication? Why not? Many do, and for a reasonable cost. Often, these sorts of things can't be found off-the-shelf, especially if they must align with or otherwise conform to specific field conditions.

Dec 2, 04 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

My last comment was directed at A, not Steven Ward.
Steven's right.
I've worked on publicly-funded transportation and infrastructure projects with very tight budgets, and many of these have used custom-fabricated stainless steel work, anything ranging from extensive guardrail systems right down to single access ladders. It can be cost-effective, especially since it's durable. Again, the budgets for these projects were not extravagant.

Dec 2, 04 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

yes, i detailed a ladder out of angles and such for a ladder to a mezzanine in a bath house.
look at a manufactuer's ladder for ideas, we had a couple of catalogs around the office that i used. then design your own.

Dec 2, 04 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

I think Steven made a key point - listen to the guys (or gals) in the metal shop. I can guarentee that they'll be a huge help in keeping costs down. They'll know both their material and trade inside and out if you find the right place, and that can make a huge difference.

Dec 2, 04 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
A

Thanks everyone for your insight into steel fabrication. I think that might be something I look into for the future.

My question about paying for it had more to do with the extra cost for stainless. Every ships ladder I've dealt with has been for things like roof access and has been put back in a mechanical room out of public view. I was more curious as to where this ladder is going and why stainless was necessary.

Dec 3, 04 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Well, one way to look at it is that regardless of if the ladder is custom fabricated or not, you're going to end up paying extra for the stainless steel.

Dec 3, 04 8:44 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Actually, the one I found which I like is $2,000 for an 8' ladder in polished stainless. The clients feel these ladders are too industrial and want to look at custom designing something, but I am fairly certain (intuition, experience, don't know) that a custom designed stair/ladder in stainless will cost a lot more. First they have to pay me to design it, the in LA finding a metal shop to fabricate something clean in stainless... We may try to get a ballpark because there are some other handrails we need to have custom fabricated in the house - so I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling we'll end up with a compromise - wood/painted stair w/stainless handrail maybe.

Dec 3, 04 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: