Archinect
anchor

IDP Hours Abroad

archmart

Hello, I was wondering if anybody was able to get IDP hours by working abroad under a licensed Architect in that foreign country?

According to NCARB this would fall under: Experience Setting O: Other Work Settings

Direct supervision by an architect not registered in the United States/Canada engaged in the practice of architecture outside of the United States or Canada

How are the IDP hours submitted and approved? Has anybody gone through this? Also, is there any other way I can add supplemental experience hours while being in a foreign country other than the NCARB Professional Conduct Monograph?

I'm just getting started with the whole IDP process so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sep 29, 14 5:30 pm
OM..

It's exactly the same as getting your IDP hours approved in the US- you track and log your hours via the NCARB website, send it to your supervisor, they get an email and approve your time. You can get a good chunk of your required hours this way. Someone here mentioned 1,800 hours and that sounds about right.

I don't know about getting hours any other way. Maybe you can get some through volunteering abroad but that's something I haven't tried myself.

Sep 29, 14 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Holy shit is this true? Anyone know if ExAC in Canada has a similar stipulation? (Non Sequiter I'm looking at you...)

Sep 30, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
archmart

The thing is that I'm going through the EESA process right now as a foreign architect so I don't know when my IDP eligibility date would be... I don't think I can get any IDP hours unless my degree is NAAB accredited, right?

Sep 30, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
archmart

I contacted NCARB and the IDP eligibility date is no longer in use as of 12-16-13 (if anyone is interested). You can start right after highschool. So getting IDP hours under a foreign licensed Architect is possible under the O experience setting.

Does anybody know if you can do EPC activities under a foreign licensed Architect? It doesn't specify in the IDP guide (it just says IDP supervisor), but there are a lot of activities that you have to do related to the firms projects, local codes, etc. I don't know if that would make sense to do it abroad or if these activities have to be done under a U.S. licensed Architect. Thanks again.

Oct 4, 14 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: