Archinect
anchor

Teachers,fellows, students and affairs o my

REDFemme

wow. i just reconnected with a classmate over drinks , and he confessed he had slept with a faculty member all throughout grad school. i am not shocked but i am wondering how it is they kept it secret. she was pretty high up, and he benefited immensly.

i will confess i had a "short" ( literally haha) but similar experience myself,( although the guy i was with was just a creep having an affair on his poor girlfriend who was miles away, and he wasn't necessarily a professor just faculty)

is this common in arch. grad school or was it just mine?

Dec 2, 04 9:27 am
Ms Beary

COMMON

Dec 2, 04 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Wow. In caps, even.

Dec 2, 04 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

AUTOCAD REASON FOR CAPS, sorry

Dec 2, 04 10:33 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

sad, but my only love affair during my education was with the subject matter. The younger lecturers (the one staight out of teacher training) were very active socially though.

Dec 2, 04 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

never with a prof, but i dated a classmate for a while, only to find out that her whole wedding had been called off, which was to occur a few weeks prior to her dating me. that was messed up, and thus ended. There are a lot of attractive women out there, but the social attraction to another designer, like BOTS said... was a big factor

I would be surprised to find out this happened frequently with actual professors within architecture. T/A's are another story, so are most other majors. Or i'm just naive.

Dec 2, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the situations I know of weren't higher up profs, just associate profs. and one ass't prof. - grad student couple are married with a kid now. but there was plenty of dating amongst architecture students and faculty. more than other areas of study it seems. i dated two other arch students myself. was propostitioned by a few more. got a little uncomfortable at times. oh the memories...

Dec 2, 04 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

i hated people who had relationships with other classmates - made things weird come crit times - but fully understandable

I was trying to have a relationship with a student when i was lecturing - but she wouldn't have. She still calls me "sir" to prove a point

Dec 2, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

I have an itch with people getting special reviews from profs!

That same faculty member gave me crabs!

Dec 2, 04 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
youngTOMcruise

What grad school did you attend REDfemme

Dec 2, 04 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
youngTOMcruise

I am an undergraduate, although I didn’t sleep with a faculty member, I do have a similar experience. I will explain the setting for you guys. During the spring semester, I was finishing up the last project. I was working on a model to complete my presentation. I was working with hard wood; you know, to make it look professional. Until bam, the door swung open and this amazing light blinded me. When the dust cleared I realized it was THE CLEANING LADY broom in hand. She stood there, wearing a bright pink sweat suit. Being that I had not slept in 48 hours and drank a half bottle of whiskey, she looked awkwardly old, but cute. I immediately opened up to her, realizing that she didn’t speak English. I knew I had to have her, so I did. I threw her down on my cot. You can imagine the rest. All I know is that every time I need a room opened late at night, she is always there, keys in hand.

Dec 2, 04 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
aml

youngtomcruise, that is histerical [although i'm actually not believing you]... did she happen to look like rebecca de mornay? where you singing 'old time rock and roll'? sorry could not resist.

Dec 2, 04 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
A

Knew of one student and a professor having a "relationship" which may or may not have had a role in his divorce around the same time. As soon as she graduated she left to Las Vegas and it was rumored she did this because it was the one city this professor said he would never go to. Eventually she returned and this year at the AIA convention I witnessed her and this professor catching sight of each other and both doing an about face and going the other way.

Myself, I went to the interior design school for a dating pool.

Dec 2, 04 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
aml

they don't call it 'archincest' for nothing...

Dec 2, 04 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

i guess... but i think it goes with a lot of things... everyone just sleeps with everyone these days... w hatever field u are into, it happens, not just design.. i guess its more of an all-encompassing pheonomena....

Dec 2, 04 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

i dated a fellow classmate...bad all around! nothing but bitching and complaining...oh, and there was the 'doing someone elses work thing'. hehehehe.

and i think a few of the gay faculty wanted to 'date' me hard core!!! lol.

but i knew of 2 faculty/student relationships while at grad school...and for some reason, those students did well. hmmmmm.

Dec 3, 04 8:43 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

were they not doing well before? Maybe if you work harder your professors will want to sleep with you too, ever think of that?

That's what I keep hopeing anyway.

Dec 4, 04 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

there is/was a prof at my school that was a chronic student dater. pretty gross. there was even a rumor of a student reaping the rewards of giving a dirty ole prof the time of day so she could get a good internship/job after graduation. and believe me sisters and brothers, she did. amen, i wish i could use my manly charm and stunted social abilities (thanks 5 years of school) to woo a professor into giving me a job, but alas, i am stuck out in the cold world with only my fellow student's new found fame and design prowess to wrap around my body.

Dec 4, 04 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: